Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Scope selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Silver Member

Scope selection

I have a 7mm STW I had built and havent had much of an opportunity to shoot much distacne killed a few deer out to 350 with it. I switched to a leu 4.5-14-40 CDS and had the opportunity to shoot 500 yards and tried the turret after a couple windage corrections was pretty happy. unfortunately i realized anything past 500 yards would probably need more magnification. What scope would u guys suggest? i was kicking around the huskemaw idea but kind of pricy and heavy compared to leupolds. maybe a cds in a 16 or 18 power? throwing the 14 on my .270. thnx
Old 09-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Scope selection

I have the same problem with my rapid Z-800 reticle on small targets past about 500 (with a zeiss). I find the reticle too thick for the precision I desire, and also have more magnification in mind. I looked at a 5.5-22 power nightforce scope with an NP-R1 reticle....very fine, and lighted if you need it. It is spendy, but very good glass, and a top choice IMO for the features. The husky I believe still has a very thick reticle if I remember from my research. Anything that would hinder my close shooting with a 5.5 power would be a hindrance on 4.5 power, so the close range argument really isn't a valid one, but having more magnification for those 300+ yard shots (especially where you are laid up prone and can use the scope as a form of a spotting scope in lieu of binos) can really be an asset. It also appeared that the rapid Z-1000 reticle in the zeiss offering was somewhat finer than the RZ800 and came in a 20 power offering. I may give this a second look as well, and Zeiss glass is far better than any leupy, husky, or nikon side by side IMO...
Old 09-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Silver Member

Re: Scope selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERHAND View Post
I have the same problem with my rapid Z-800 reticle on small targets past about 500 (with a zeiss). I find the reticle too thick for the precision I desire, and also have more magnification in mind. I looked at a 5.5-22 power nightforce scope with an NP-R1 reticle....very fine, and lighted if you need it. It is spendy, but very good glass, and a top choice IMO for the features. The husky I believe still has a very thick reticle if I remember from my research. Anything that would hinder my close shooting with a 5.5 power would be a hindrance on 4.5 power, so the close range argument really isn't a valid one, but having more magnification for those 300+ yard shots (especially where you are laid up prone and can use the scope as a form of a spotting scope in lieu of binos) can really be an asset. It also appeared that the rapid Z-1000 reticle in the zeiss offering was somewhat finer than the RZ800 and came in a 20 power offering. I may give this a second look as well, and Zeiss glass is far better than any leupy, husky, or nikon side by side IMO...
Thnx i was looking at the NF as well as the leupold 6-20. My reticle wasnt too bad just had trouble with power. Maybe just getting older and cant see so good..lol