Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Scope Rings and Bases Question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 01:03 PM

Scope Rings and Bases Question?

Hi everyone Im new to LRH and I've been lurking around here for a while and decided to join because I have a few questions to ask.

I recently bought a Browning X Bolt and I havent decided which scope rings and bases combo I should get. Is the weaver style better then the dovetail or vice versa. I wont be shooting to far 500-600 yards max. Being that the x bolt has 4 screws per base I seem to be limited to scope bases.

Also did I put this in the right category.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Gold Member

Re: Scope Rings and Bases Question?

The dovetail has served shooters well for decades. With that said, I've gone to Pic/Weaver bases. In my mind, correctly or not, there's less chance of misalignment between the rings.

Probably should have put it here, but a mod can move it if they deem it necessary.

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics - LongRangeHunting.com Online Magazine and Forums
Old 03-09-2010, 01:37 PM

looking for some more info.

thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Silver Member

Does the A bolt have the same configuration as the X bolt? If so you could try this.

EGW Browning A-Bolt Tactical Picatinny Scope Base - $39.99 : Evolution Gun Works , World Class Precision Parts

A few guys on this site like them. I have one, and it works well. Once you find a base you like, rings will be easy. I like Burris XTR's, but a lot of people like the Burris Z rings for thier extra MOA's.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

I see you can't use the A bolt base, sorry. I'd call or Email EGW, and see what they can do. Here are a couple of options.
X-Lock Integrated Scope Mounts(X-Bolt), x-bolt rifle rings bases, Browning Shooting Accessory Product
Warne Matte Base Set For Browning X Bolt M927/929M FREE S&H M927/929M. Warne Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.
65425 Leupold Two Piece Standard Scope Mounting Base for Browning X-Bolt Rifles, Silver

I like the first one myself. It seems like a nice setup.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

A lot of it depends on what you want to do with the gun. For more of a tactical setup, some of the ones mentioned will work well. If weight is a concern, take a look at the Talleys. We have them on two rifles that are setup as lightweight long range hunters and these base/rings are very stable and dependable.

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/c...controller.cgi
Old 03-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

BrowningBoy,
Welcome to LRH. Wealth of knowledge here to hopefully steer you in the right direction, most of the time.
Not sure that the Picatinny/Weaver style bases/rings are any stronger than the STD and Dual Dovetail's. I use both and have been pleased with each.
There are a few setups for the X-bolt. I did a search on midwayusa.com and found 2 pages of applicable accessories.
You could alway use either the Leupold Dual Dovetail or STD or the Burris STD mounts and then, depending on the scope (1" or 30mm) get the applicable Burris Signature rings which would allow you to add MOA to you setup. JohnnyK.