Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Scope rings/base opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Silver Member

Re: Scope rings/base opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
I've had very good experience with Talley rings and bases over the years. I'm surprised to hear they are not working. On my long range rifle I am using Badger Max 50 rings on a picatinny rail. I do not believe you could make these rings slip with a hammer! Not light weights though.
Murphy Precision makes some killer looking titanium rings and bases that I have read great reviews for.
Brad, I've generally had good experience with the Talley's as well. However, a friend of mine has a similar rifle (Ti action, carbon barrel) in the same caliber (300 RUM) and his Leupold screws sheared in half from recoil. He knew another guy that did the same. So I'm looking for something beefier. Those Murphy Precision Ti bases/rings look awesome, but damn are they spendy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Big scope, magnum rifle, one extra ring=cheap insurance.
Great point. Can't argue that one at all. I guess I'm just trying to get a free lunch on this rig, and I'm wondering why it isn't happening . Thanks for the help and advice.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coues Sniper View Post
Brad, I've generally had good experience with the Talley's as well. However, a friend of mine has a similar rifle (Ti action, carbon barrel) in the same caliber (300 RUM) and his Leupold screws sheared in half from recoil. He knew another guy that did the same. So I'm looking for something beefier. Those Murphy Precision Ti bases/rings look awesome, but damn are they spendy!!!

Great point. Can't argue that one at all. I guess I'm just trying to get a free lunch on this rig, and I'm wondering why it isn't happening . Thanks for the help and advice.
I went through a similar problem with a 300wm that weighed only about 6.5lbs that I had a big VXII on.

One extra ring solved the problem completely.

One problem we fail to consider with light weight magnum rifles is that the scope ends up taking quite a ride every time you pull the trigger. The bigger and heavier the scope and the lighter the rifle the greater the likelihood of some slippage... .

Old 08-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Seekins 1-piece base and rings are quality and look nice too. As you've noted, the Seekins rings are sleek with no protruding bolts and nuts. A third ring is good advice if your scope tube will allow it. Four screws holding a single 1-piece base will be stouter than two screws holding each of two 2-piece bases.