Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Scope rings/base opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Scope rings/base opinions

Recently found that I'm having issues with my current scope ring/base setup and would like to upgrade. Rifle is a very light weight 300 RUM, hence the issues with the current rings (Talley). Looking at the Nightforce Ultralight rings (still would like to keep weight down), but should I go one piece base or two? Typically don't like the one pieces but with the issues I'm having... Also was looking at the Seekins bases and rings as they are much more appealing to the eye without the side bolts, but can't find much info as far as reviews. Open to other suggestions as well. Any opinions and experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Kevin
Old 08-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: Scope rings/base opinions

Look up Near manufacturing.....they are some of the best one piece bases you can buy, plus you can get what ever MOA slope you want.

I have them on all my rifles and have never had any issues. I have a mix of Near rings and Leupold MkIV tactical rings and both work well for me.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Gold Member

X2 on Near Mfg. I have them on a few different rifles and they are the best I have ever used.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coues Sniper View Post
Recently found that I'm having issues with my current scope ring/base setup and would like to upgrade. Rifle is a very light weight 300 RUM, hence the issues with the current rings (Talley). Looking at the Nightforce Ultralight rings (still would like to keep weight down), but should I go one piece base or two? Typically don't like the one pieces but with the issues I'm having... Also was looking at the Seekins bases and rings as they are much more appealing to the eye without the side bolts, but can't find much info as far as reviews. Open to other suggestions as well. Any opinions and experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Kevin
EGW base and TPS TSR or TSRW scope rings.

Nothing beats the one piece rail type mounts for stoutness and ease of installation/use.

If you have a really big heavy scope you might consider using three rings instead of just two.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinner View Post
Look up Near manufacturing.....they are some of the best one piece bases you can buy, plus you can get what ever MOA slope you want.

I have them on all my rifles and have never had any issues. I have a mix of Near rings and Leupold MkIV tactical rings and both work well for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
X2 on Near Mfg. I have them on a few different rifles and they are the best I have ever used.
Thanks for the recommendation guys - those look like quality bases. I'll have to do some more research on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
EGW base and TPS TSR or TSRW scope rings.

Nothing beats the one piece rail type mounts for stoutness and ease of installation/use.

If you have a really big heavy scope you might consider using three rings instead of just two.
Thanks WildRose, I'll look into those as well. Scope isn't too big, it's a 56mm Leupy VXL. But was getting some abnormal wear and was getting loose.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Gold Member

I've had very good experience with Talley rings and bases over the years. I'm surprised to hear they are not working. On my long range rifle I am using Badger Max 50 rings on a picatinny rail. I do not believe you could make these rings slip with a hammer! Not light weights though.
Murphy Precision makes some killer looking titanium rings and bases that I have read great reviews for.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coues Sniper View Post
Thanks for the recommendation guys - those look like quality bases. I'll have to do some more research on them.

Thanks WildRose, I'll look into those as well. Scope isn't too big, it's a 56mm Leupy VXL. But was getting some abnormal wear and was getting loose.
Big scope, magnum rifle, one extra ring=cheap insurance.