Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Which scope for my new 5R 308??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

Which scope for my new 5R 308??

I purchased a new 5r milspec this last summer and im finally getting some time to start thinking about some glass and I cant decide what to get. Vortex viper pst, sightron siii, leupold, huskemaw?? Budget 800-1200. I have a semi custom sendero in 300rum that is wearing a Greybull scope that I use for hunting, so this little .308 will primarily be for practice. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Which scope for my new 5R 308??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280yotes View Post
I purchased a new 5r milspec this last summer and im finally getting some time to start thinking about some glass and I cant decide what to get. Vortex viper pst, sightron siii, leupold, huskemaw?? Budget 800-1200. I have a semi custom sendero in 300rum that is wearing a Greybull scope that I use for hunting, so this little .308 will primarily be for practice. Thanks in advance.
Both of my Milspecs have Mark4's on them with Mildot reticles. One is the 8,5x25, the other 4,5x14. Both work very well with these rifles. I also own two Huskemaw 5x20's that I have mounted on my 6.5x284's. I think they are one of the best kept secrets in top quaity scopes. Used them for a few years now, and they perform and have optical quality at least as good maybe better, then my NF and Leupolds.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Since its just mainly practice you should look into the Vortex Viper PA 6.5-20x50, its a lot of scope for under 450. I got rid of my 8.5-25 leupold the side focus was to finicky. I still have Nightforce and Sightrons though. IMO the SIII is right on par with the Nightforce, and you can get a 6-24x50 for about 7-750 if you look around, they have over 100 minutes of adjustments on both turrets and are crystal clear, nice positive clicks, side focus is very sensative but easy to find the sweet spot. I've never owned a Huskmaw but I've heard good things about them and the Viper PST is another good choice.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

I have a 5R .308 as well, and I am running a TPS 20MOA base, TPS Med rings, and a Konus M-30 8.5-32x52 scope, and so far I have no complaints.

Here's a 12" target with 24 consecutive shots I fired from it at 100 yards a few weeks back. My buddy bet me that I couldn't do it, so I had to prove him wrong... So I sent all 24 of them into a 1.594" group with my new handloads. It would have been a smaller group than that had I not tried to knock all the orange out with that farthest shot on the right...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

The Rem Milspecs sure do shoot! I have owned three since they were introduced. They have all shot the same group size with the same loads, and they are not picky, .25-.5 MOA, 5 shots, sometimes better. The 5R barrel holds accuracy for + 150 shots and cleans up in a few minutes. It's Remingtons best kept secret and proves they can build a rifle if they try. The off the selve models are spotty, and lack the quality of the Milpec.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods83 View Post
Since its just mainly practice you should look into the Vortex Viper PA 6.5-20x50, its a lot of scope for under 450. I got rid of my 8.5-25 leupold the side focus was to finicky. I still have Nightforce and Sightrons though. IMO the SIII is right on par with the Nightforce, and you can get a 6-24x50 for about 7-750 if you look around, they have over 100 minutes of adjustments on both turrets and are crystal clear, nice positive clicks, side focus is very sensative but easy to find the sweet spot. I've never owned a Huskmaw but I've heard good things about them and the Viper PST is another good choice.
There was a run of Leupold MK4 8.5x25's some years back that had a problem with the side focus. They have since fixed it. The biggest issue I have with this model is that there is a pretty big difference in eye relief between lowest and highest power settings.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Both of my Milspecs have Mark4's on them with Mildot reticles. One is the 8,5x25, the other 4,5x14. Both work very well with these rifles. I also own two Huskemaw 5x20's that I have mounted on my 6.5x284's. I think they are one of the best kept secrets in top quaity scopes. Used them for a few years now, and they perform and have optical quality at least as good maybe better, then my NF and Leupolds.
Do you hunt with both 6.5's? How is the huskemaw for shooting gongs and targets?