Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Max Scope Magnification?
4x-10x 12 4.10%
11x-16x 101 34.47%
17x-25x 161 54.95%
25x + 19 6.48%
Voters: 293. This poll is closed

Scope Magnification for LRH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

Re: Scope Magnification for LRH

Kirby ,,,,,,

you ever tried to find a coues deer in the dark oaks or by a Palo Verde tree at 1,000 yards with only a 12X scope ?,,,,,,,
Old 10-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazzInc View Post
Kirby ,,,,,,

you ever tried to find a coues deer in the dark oaks or by a Palo Verde tree at 1,000 yards with only a 12X scope ?,,,,,,,
Isn't that what a spotting scope is for, or at least binocs? You just going to try to rip on Kirby in every post you can dig up now?
Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

no ,,,,,, I am not here to pick on Kirby, (((even though he goes out of his way to get at me!) ,,,,,,

I just know that at my fat old age, trying to find & shoot a little Coues deer at 900+ yards with a 12X power scope would be challenge ,,,,
Old 10-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Gold Member

Hmmm... hate to see new folks come on and create controversy. You guys are both known for exceptional rifles, just maybe different genre's... but not my biz.

FWIW, I have done a fair amount of shooting at marmots the past couple years with a NF compact set on 10X. Shots have been as far as 1077 yards. This is stretching the capability of the scope, and the capability of these 54 years old eyes even more. I am pleasantly surprised to say it can certainly be done... the seeing the target part anyway, the hitting, well, so far 631 yards with this light weight big game rifle.

Another FWIW, I've been shoot at them with a S&B set on 16X out to a mile. I think the quality of glass has a lot to do with the ability to shoot at long ranges with relatively low powered scopes.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
B..... .
I think we often get to caught up on high mag scopes and often if optical quality is good, you do not need as much mag power.
This needs to be repeated, and often.

I've got a couple of variables that go as high as 20 and 25x but I almost never dial them up to max power for an actual shot, just to evaluate the target for trophy quality.

For coyote and larger sized game I've done just fine out to 1000yds with a conquest 3.5-10x44, and even on varmints as small as prairie dogs I find no need for more than 14x for 95% of my shooting or more.

Another thing about the higher power scopes besides low light issues, is that the higher the power the more problems you'll have with mirage effects.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Silver Member

Another thing to consider about buying a scope is the come up. I like the Nightforce 5.5x22 because it has the dependability on tracking and the minutes needed for long range. It is better to have the power and not need it then too need it and don't have it. Mine hardly ever leaves 22x. I even mounted a Vortex Sparc red dot on a picitanny ring mount on top of my Nightforce to use in locating game. It makes it easy to look and and see red dot and move gun to that part of mountain.

Last edited by dkhunt14; 11-24-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

The new prostaff 5 3.5-14x40 is what I just got, I like having the wide range.