Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Scope magnification

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope magnification

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishonnw View Post
Sorry for my lack of knowledge on powers. However an earlier post says the scope will only be accurate on the highest setting. As powers increase will point of impact change with higher powers. If I bought a 6.5 - 20 and I used the scope in a hunting application on 10 power would the point of impact be different on 20 power? In my opinion hunting situations will not always allow for the higher powers. Sounds like this topic can open a can of worms.

Thanks.

Only the ballistic reticles. The center crosshair should remain on the same point, however other aimpoints will change with different powers. Some of the very expensive scopes are FFP (first focal plane) and this means that the reticle will change sizes to match the change in magnification; in this case, all the aimpoints will impact in the same place regardless of the magnification.

Most common scopes are SFP (second focal plane) and the crosshairs and entire reticle don't change size as you change the magnification, so every aimpoint except the center crosshair will move on the target as the magnification is changed.

Hope I explained that well enough to be understood, sometimes my explanations get people more confused (normally just my kids when I try to explain math to them )

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives

Unread 07-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Silver Member

A.J. had a good description.

The other thing to remember is that each scope has a fixed magnification that the ballistic reticle will have the required spacing.

Look at it this way, if your scope has 1 MOA hash marks on the upright post when you look through it, the spacing will only be 1 MOA at the magnification it is calibrated for. My Nightforce 8-32 is calibrated at 22 power so if I am below 22 power the MOA marks will be farther apart than 1 MOA and if I am at 32 power the MOA marks will be approx. .75 MOA apart.
Unread 07-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Silver Member

It comes down to a personal thing and how good your eye's are. I like a little more magnification and past 500-600 yards even the 14x is not enough for me, but my hunting partner hates anything over 12x and he has very good eyesite. I find that I like to see the target very clearly, and I find the center of the target is completely covered at 500yards with my 4.5-14 luepold, so you are not sure of exactly where the center of the target is.

As stated earlier you can alway turn it down... For shooting targets at over 500 yards I like something with at least 18x on the top end and a low end somewhere around 6x for carrying when hunting. If I find a long shot I have the time to dial up the power and dial in the elevation correction.
Unread 07-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

For hunting medium and large game, 10X on a scope will do fine for as far as you can shoot your rifle effectively. If you're wanting to see detail or judge trophy quality, that's a different matter. But for hitting the vitals out to 800-1,000 yards, 10X will work (admittedly, I've only shot inanimate targets at this distance). When shooting, don't focus on the target. Focus on the reticle. It's O.K. if the target's even a little blurry (as long as you've adjusted for parallax).

I'm not saying don't get more magnification. Being comfortable with and having confidence in your equipment is worth a lot.
Unread 07-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Silver Member

"Being comfortable with and having confidence in your equipment is worth a lot."

I'm a firm beleiver in shoot more, shoot more often.

I’m still learning and primarily firing out to 550 yards Max thus far accurately.
I use Kentucky windage, fine plex, TDS and 4D recticles.
Max magnification is 3 or 4 - 10X, 12X and 16X are the higher magnifications on my rifle scopes.
40 - 50 MM objective lens
I'm concerned with weight - my rifle scopes are all less than 18 OZ.

I feel that the higher power scopes are better used for small critters

Last edited by badaboom; 07-10-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Unread 07-10-2009, 06:07 PM

Let me make sure I know what is being said. If I have a duplex reticle magnification will not change point of impact because the duplex is center of the reticle. It seems as though having a fine duplex reticle might be a good with target turrets. This will teach me to use clicks for greater distances, rather than hold over points in the reticle which would have to be on the same power as the gun was sighted in on.

I am understanding this correctly?
Unread 07-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

You got it.

Many folks use ballistic reticles and still click their adjustments when they have enough time.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives