Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Scope Dope Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 09:26 AM

Scope Dope Cards

Anyone have an online source for printable hard data dope cards? I have found several soft data (computer generated estimates) sites but I would like to fill in the blanks with hard field data for several rounds and calibers. Any help appreciated.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Silver Member

Re: Scope Dope Cards

Look at Darrell Hollands web site he might have just what you are looking for.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:39 AM

TY jrw, I'll check it out.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Silver Member

He has also written many articles for this site that are very helpful and straight forward.

Good luck, Jason
Old 01-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

My apology in advance if I misunderstand the question/objective. But, here's what I do...

Work up my load at 100yds and chrony.

Plug the numbers into NFBal (Sierra or Darrel Holland's software) for theoretical trajectory.

Save it to an Excel Spreadsheet.

Collect dope on the rifle/load in the field.

Tweak the BC up/down slightly to get the curve to match the dope (if needed, NFBal and Berger have been pretty darn close for me).

Save the adjusted data to the spreadsheet.

Delete unneeded columns. Add columns for actual scope clicks/revolutions (I don't have BDC calibrated turrets and 1/10 MOA clicks are a big problem for hunting).

Because my Varmint reticle is neither MOA nor MilDot, I also convert the windage to hash marks and add a column for that so that I can still dial Elev and hold for wind.

Format the spreadsheet, print it, and laminate at Kinkos.

I do one big sheet (easy on my eyes) that goes in my pack, a luggage tag that hangs off the rifle, and a more permanent one that's taped to the buttstock with clear packing tape to protect it.

This works ok. But, I'm always looking for a better way.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 AM

Thanx RScott, sounds like that works well. I was hoping to find a template for which I could enter in my hard data to later print and then laminate for future field use. Calculations for angle changes (cosine adjustments) and windage would be cool, but I would like to incorporate my own drop data onto the template/card. Just being lazy I guess hoping to find a pdf file online.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:35 PM

RScott and Jason, thanks again for the suggestions. Checked out Hollands info as well as Sierra and JBM calculators. Played with the data input and printed a few cards and then collected hard data this afternoon. Amazing how close the soft data was to the hard data/range results. I was very suprised...and pleased with the results. Elevation changes, temperature variations, and playing a bit with the wind (it was dead still today) are next on the agenda. Then another load, and then another caliber, and then......more fun!

Thanks again guys!