Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Scope Canting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope Canting

sounds like your headed in the right direction.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

Installing the level plum is tedious but necessary. Here is how I to do that 1st. square the scope sighs rail 2nd place the level on loosely 3rd draw a vertical line at least 3 ' long with a carpenters level on a target a hundred. Yards away. 4th hold the rifle so that the vertical hair lays on top of the drawn line from top bottom 5th tighten thelevel in place.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Gold Member

Twice in the past few months I've watch shooters I was instructing cant their rifle and miss by 12" at 660 yds and 4' - 8' at 1000 yds. I kept watching through my spotter at first. It wasn't until I came off my spotter and actually watched the shooter that I noticed the cant in their rifle. It happens. Install a level bubble and check it just before each shot. It is especially useful when shooting in hilly or mountainous terrain.

Alan
Old 07-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Gold Member

Before you install your level, you should double check your rifle & scope alignment. The quickest way to do this is to use a weighted plumb line on your target. Mark high & low on the string and then draw your perpendicular line on the target. I use a square for this.

Level your rifle in a gun rest/vise (preferable) or on bags, using your level set on the rail. Once this is done, install the scope in the rings and rotate it until the perpendicular cross hair lines up perfectly with the vertical line drawn on the target. Make sue rifle and scope are perfectly lined up and then tighten. Once this is done, use your perpendicular cross hair on your vertical line as a guide and then mount your level. This will get most, if not all of the cant removed from the rifle & scope without firing a shot.

You can double check your work by firing at the line using multiple dial ups as you go.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Bronze Member

I am thinking the easiest and fastest way to set this up at the gun range is, Use a large target with both horizontal and vertical lines. Then attach a plum bob to perfectly align the target at 100 yards. I use a caldwell led sled, I think I can secure my gun in that and get it level. I may use a tie down strap to hold it secure while i check level on the gun. I hope that I wont even need to move the scope because I already did this process at home. I used a plum bob at 20 yards. Everything looked good. I wouldn't think there would be a difference at 20 yards or 100 yards. I still plan to double check it anyway.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Silver Member

I like to put a piece of clear scotch tape on the rings and the scope. Then mark the two pieces of tape with a pencil so you have a reference.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Gold Member

Tall, Sounds to me like are ready to git 'er done.