Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Scabbard for big scopes, long barrels and bipods....check it out!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: Scabbard for big scopes, long barrels and bipods....check it out!

Joseph, You are gonna be hating life if you plan on using that pack like that with hikes any more than 1 mile... Even with a total weight of 30 lbs you're shoulders are gonna be shredded... Not sure if you're hunt is gonna be a backpack style or just long day hunts but it may be worth it for you to look into a used Kifaru or something of the like..Something with load lifters.. There's good deals to be had on used Kifaru packs (T1, T2, and the duplex's) now that they came out with the new bikini frame...

Also look into a Kifaru Gunbearer for hauling you're rifle...I bought one last year, money well spent..

To the OP, sorry to derail the thread just trying to save a guy some headaches.. You're scabbard's look good I wish I had the resources and skill to build some of my own gear..
Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSnort View Post
Joseph, You are gonna be hating life if you plan on using that pack like that with hikes any more than 1 mile... Even with a total weight of 30 lbs you're shoulders are gonna be shredded... Not sure if you're hunt is gonna be a backpack style or just long day hunts but it may be worth it for you to look into a used Kifaru or something of the like..Something with load lifters.. There's good deals to be had on used Kifaru packs (T1, T2, and the duplex's) now that they came out with the new bikini frame...

Also look into a Kifaru Gunbearer for hauling you're rifle...I bought one last year, money well spent..

To the OP, sorry to derail the thread just trying to save a guy some headaches.. You're scabbard's look good I wish I had the resources and skill to build some of my own gear..
I don't pack both rifles at one time. I put both in plus 20 lbs. to walk up & down my street which is 1/4 mile long and at about a 35 degree angle. I would do that 4 times every day to get in shape for my Wyoming hunt. Should have seen the looks I got with 2 rifles sticking up out of my pack.

As for putting the barrel down I can bend over and reach over my shoulder and slide the rifle out without having to spin it around. My right hand grabs the pistol grip and is in position to put my finger in the trigger guard and be ready to shoot. I tried it with the barrel up and found it way out of balance and was harder to retrieve it out of the back pack. OH, by the way caring your rifle in the middle and against your back is very comfortable and helps to keep you balanced.

This pack is just like our Marines use and they are padded exactly where they should be. I never got tired because of the lack of comfort of the pack. I am 6' tall and weigh 235 and was 65 when I did all of this. OH, I did quit smoking 15 years earlier.

joseph

PS: Your whole torso supports the pack not just your shoulders.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Silver Member

Joseph,

Ya I can imagine the looks from the neighbors lol.....Not where I live but in the populated parts of CA you would have the swat team on ya..lol
Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSnort View Post
Joseph,

Ya I can imagine the looks from the neighbors lol.....Not where I live but in the populated parts of CA you would have the swat team on ya..lol
Move to Georgia. You will like it better. - - - - - - - - - -

joseph
Old 01-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Before I got my back pack I bought an Outlaw Sling for my 14.7 pound rifle and loved it. Someone else loved it too because he stole it from me.

Timber Butte Outdoors Products

joseph
Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farout View Post
Love it. I have a 300 RUM weight is 17 pounds with a 32 inch barrel on a Mcmillan A5 stock. Would like to see it deeper to cover rest of stock.

I use a Nimrod day pack a lot and would like to be able to attach to it. Another thought is to just have a pair of shoulder straps that could be attached to the scabbard so I could carry on its own like a small pack. Midway sniper drag bags have those.

Definitely interested in one. Keep us posted. I think you have come up with something. Good luck with it.
Does the Nimrod gun carry not work for you?.I have 3 Nimrod packs,but my LR is a packer and I prefer a safari sling, encase I need to liberate a grizz
Old 02-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Silver Member

Alright, I think I am going to give this project a go. The first run will probably only be 25 of them, (hopefully I wont eat 24 of them!) I will post some pics in just a bit of the backpack straps attached to mine and will have that as an option. They will probably come in 1 color. I will crunch numbers today so I can post a $ amount and then will go from there.