Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Scabbard for big scopes, long barrels and bipods....check it out!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

Scabbard for big scopes, long barrels and bipods....check it out!

I tried some name brand scabbards and although they were built well, they just didn't fit the EDGE. So I decided to put my sewing skills to use and build my own. It will easily fit the full set up. It is designed to be strapped on to the outside of your pack, which I found works best with the longer barrels. If there is enough interest I would consider finding a sewing shop to make a small run (I had time for 1, not 50 of them) so let me know what you think and if there is enough interest for a group buy. The barrel is 30" with a PK.
Scabbard for big scopes, long barrels and bipods....check it out!-sam_0483.jpg

Scabbard for big scopes, long barrels and bipods....check it out!-sam_0484.jpg

Scabbard for big scopes, long barrels and bipods....check it out!-sam_0485.jpg
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Scabbard for big scopes, long barrels and bipods....check it out!

I like it, but could you make it a little taller for more cover over the trigger / bolt area, and put a drawstring on the top with easy release mechanism
Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

ya I could make them a little taller. I have an idea in my head for a neoprene dust/twig/moisture collar that would be smoother than drawstring closure
Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

How much money do you have in that? I think you would sell a ton of those if you went into business. I would want one, or two... That is your million dollar idea.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

I would have to add up the parts and pieces, labor would be the biggest factor. I made that one with padded side panels for extra protection and lots of strap attachment points for versatile rigging. everything is either double stitched or bar tacked for a lifetime of use. glad you like it.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

you can see in the photos that the fastex buckles are "scabbed" on, with this one being the proto, some things I moved and adjusted. If I made a run of them, NOTHING would scabbed on and it would the upmost in quality and durabitliy.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Sawyer,

Very very nice!! You are a talented 'seamster'.

Well thought out and designed. It seems that we Idaho folks know what we want, can't find it in the stuff marketed to the masses and make the sucker our selves.

There's an outfit in Blackfoot, Dawn Enterprises, that provides work for the less employable type folks. They make stuff for the military, and individuals like yourselt. They've done a couple of projects for me which turned out very well.

All they need is a sample of what you want and they make it. They have about 20 sewing machines and a complete manufacturing staff.

Coupla questions:

What sewing machine are you using. BTW, did you know that some machines are now being called "stitch injectors"? WWT??

I cobbled a scabbard up just prior to a woof scouting trip in a side by side UTV. It hung from the overhead frame. Designed to jump out grab the brake and yank it out. Then load and shoot. Figger'd bipods are useless in 5' of snow.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Scabbard for big scopes, long barrels and bipods....check it out!-img_2580.jpg