Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage vs Remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: Savage vs Remington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
This thread is so old I had forgotten the conversation.

243 vs 6mm Rem.

Brass Availability:
Winner .243: .243 has multiple manufacturers that make ammo all year long. 6mm only has a few manufacturers that seem to run seasonally.

Brass Quality:
Winner .243 Lapua Brass- 'nuff said

OAL vs Short Mag Box:
Winner .243 6mm case is longer than the .243 which makes loading long bullets in a short action more difficult.

Feeding From a Detachable Mag:
Winner .243: 308 based case- almost all DBM's are designed around this cartridge.

I Hope that is what we were talking about

t
You told me exactly what I was wanting to know. I wanted specifically, your reasons. Most people have slightly different reasons for what they want & sometimes their reasons coincide with mine. Other times I learn about reasons I hadn't considered before. The more input I get from those experience about something I'm not experience with, the better I like it. It gives me more choices.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your time.

Spencer
Old 05-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySes23 View Post
You told me exactly what I was wanting to know. I wanted specifically, your reasons. Most people have slightly different reasons for what they want & sometimes their reasons coincide with mine. Other times I learn about reasons I hadn't considered before. The more input I get from those experience about something I'm not experience with, the better I like it. It gives me more choices.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your time.

Spencer

Your welcome. Oddly enough, I re-read the thread & changed my answer to your question I had missread it, or so I thought.

t

Old 05-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I was speaking to the versatility of the 6mm bore vs the 22 caliber bore. (particularly the .243 vs the .223). The .243 has more punch w/o delivering a lot more recoil. The .243 (properly loaded) will reach out quite a bit further & do so more accurately (speaking of wind drift). The .243 offers more energy if you are a hunter. With a factory barrel, the .243 can be loaded with bullets as low as 55grns and as high as 105's. The 223 really depends on offered twist rate. Some manufacturers offer a 1-9 but some only offer the 1-12 which limits bullet selection from 36 to 55-60 ish grains.

On the down side, the .243 will burn the barrel quicker. Barrels are consumable, at least where i'm from. The .243 is a little more costly to feed (bullets & powder).

For the most part, it's up to the end user. For the prairie dogger/ plinker, the .223 will do everything they need. For the hunter looking to stretch the cartridge out a bit, the .243 is far superior.

t
I have often considered a 6mm Remington, but since I have skills most hand loaders don't have, I'd opt to buy 257 Roberts or 7mm Mauser brass, neck it down so it has a thicker wall in the neck so I can ream the bore of the neck, make a special arbor to fit the ID & then turn it to a perfect diameter for the chamber in my rifle with a perfect wall thickness & perfect concentricity from the inside to the outside of the neck. This would give less stretch in the neck area when firing and less when sizing with a modified sizing die. I like long case life along with accuracy. However, before I retired, I had 46 years in the machine shop trade and can make or do almost anything I want, since I have a small machine shop at home. I may never have a 6mm anything, because I'm old and probably won't have enough time to do everything I'd like to do.
My present desire is to have as much fun as possible with a custom Savage LRPV chambered for the 22-250 with the Dual-Port Left Load, Right eject Target action I ordered a few weeks ago. It should arrive in the next 3-5 weeks.

A 6mm something or other would be my next project if I live long enough. I used to want the faster ones like the Ackley Improved calibers, but decided I don't want any barrel burners.
I addition, I have to drive nearly 100 miles round trip to a decent range, which eats into my available time. Being an old fart slows me down some, but it hasn't stopped me yet.

I really enjoy listening to other peoples ideas.

Spencer