Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage vs Remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: Savage vs Remington

I have always had Remington's, but recently I bought a weatherby sub moa and that rifle is amazing as far as accuracy goes. I had read a lot about savage lately also so I bought one in December of last year and I'm also amazed at this rifles accuracy. I'm not sure I would ever buy a new Remington again in fact I only have 1 left in my safe now. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

I'm a huge Savage fan. I do own 1 remmy in a mod 7 that shoots well. My Savage has been a great rifle for accuracy and easy to build off of. Give this model some consideration as well as the others:

Savage Arms Firearms > 12 VLP DBM

Savage Arms Firearms > 10 Predator Hunter Brush

Another good option would be the Howa Varminter. Just out of personal preference, I would suggest getting both the Howa and Remmy bedded and trigger work done.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Gold Member

I am not a fan of any company. I am a fan of a gun that shoots good. In my gun safe i have only one Remington and 6-7 Savages. You be the judge. As for caliber the 243 will be more well rounded and be better at longer ranges however it will cost you more to shoot as well. Just a little trade off i guess.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

savage offers more of what your looking for. twist rates are something to seriously consider also. if your going to be shooting 500yds you definatly want the heavier 6mm bullets.
i own a 223 and i dont even use it for prairie dogs at that distance.

as for the cz 527 it was by far my worst experience ever. after 4 months and 3 rifles they reluctantly refunded my money. well almost all, they refused to give credit for the sales tax i paid.
none would shoot under 11/2" after every conceivable load. its a great looking piece of sh-t.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Gold Member

Well, today I decided to give my Savage LRPV a chance, by the way its 6mmBR 1:8 twist, still can't get under 1" using 105 A-Max and 105 gr Barnes Match Burners, but I can post my Rem 700 do 0.25" all day long with 55 gr V-Max, but its 223 ;-)

Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
Well, today I decided to give my Savage LRPV a chance, by the way its 6mmBR 1:8 twist, still can't get under 1" using 105 A-Max and 105 gr Barnes Match Burners, but I can post my Rem 700 do 0.25" all day long with 55 gr V-Max, but its 223 ;-)
How many beers did you have before you shot those groups? Any Whiskey?

JUST JOKING MAN!

That's an awesome rifle and definitively needs to shoot better. It's possible something easy to fix is doing that.

Is that the dual or single port?

Good luck!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Gold Member

I only had Pink Lemonade when I shot those and baby aspirin usually do when I'm shooting, but now I down 6 pack bud and I'm going for more... Its right bolt left port in BR stock, still don't get it why put BR stock on varmint rifle there are no swivel stud to fix bipod... this thing got to many issues starting with the stock. Somehow, some monkey ran chipped rimer through its chamber so fired brass won't go back unless its inserted exactly the way it was extracted... Then damn fliers, I tried all kind of torque still fliers allover... I already wasted 200 A-Max and 100 Barnes Match burners on it still nothing good... And the firing pin strikes puncturing primers, well I fixed that sucker...