Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage vs Remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Gold Member

Re: Savage vs Remington

Lately I have better luck with Remington, the last two model 12 Savage I got one target another varmint had to many issues, they couldn't even put the right stock on the replacement they send me...

Old 07-21-2011, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Between the two shoices I'd say go with the Rem.

Let me throw you a ringer in though.

Give the CZ's a look. The most accurate out of the box factory rifles I've ever had my hands on are the CZ's.

I've killed coyotes to 800yds walking and on a flying run out to 580 with my 527 in .204 Ruger. All with Hornady factor ammo!

I've found the .204 to be the best overall varminter I've ever shot, and that includes years of experience with .17 rem, 220 Swift, and 22-250.

I've got over 2,500 rds through the CZ now and I have treated it badly with only cleaning it every hundred or so rounds and carrying it in the truck daily.

I finally cleaned it up completely, sent it to my GS and asked him to give it a good check up. After his report I sent the findings to CZ.

Throat and chamber still in excellent shape.

So I stripped it down, have sent it off to be cerakoted, and will put it in a nice Mcmillian varmint stock when it comes home.

If/when I shoot it out finally I'll put a Kreiger 28" fluted SS barrel with a sendero taper, and shoot it another decade or so.

I've shot thirty or so of the CZ's now quite a bit and they just rock!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:40 AM
Platinum Member

I also have Remington, Savage, Ruger, Howa... They all shoot good since I've done some tweaking in them all.

Now the "but".

But if you want a higher percentage for a shooter out of the box then go with the Savage.

If you want looks better than accuracy then go with any of the other ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post

Give the CZ's a look.
I have never owned a CZ but from all the reading I've done, that's an excellent advice and the Lord willing I'll
get me one some day! :-)

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!

Last edited by Eaglet; 07-21-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
I also have Remington, Savage, Ruger, Howa... They all shoot good since I've done some tweaking in them all.

Now the "but".

But if you want a higher percentage for a shooter out of the box then go with the Savage.

If you want looks better than accuracy then go with any of the other ones...

I have never owned a CZ but from all the reading I've done, that's an excellent advice and the Lord willing I'll
get me one some day! :-)
Or get it all in one along with a very reasonable price.

Mine's just the "budget model 527 Varmint .204 Ruger.

CZ-USA -> CZ 527 American

The fully adjustable single set trigger is the thing dreams are made of once you learn to shoot it.

I have a predjudice here and I admit it. I'm good freinds with the CEO who is a customer of mine.

Still wouldn't recommend her guns however unless I was convinced of the quality.

I've bought 13 of them.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:34 AM
Platinum Member

I regularly shoot factory class competition, 200 and 300 yard Egg Shoots. Five years ago first place wins were dominated by Remingtons. For the last couple of years Savage has completely taken over and the scores are significantly higher. The sample is pretty big with about 20-30 shooters,more than a dozen matches a year. The general feeling from most of the shooters is that the Savage trigger is better,the barreled action with the floating bolt head behaves like a trued action, and the barrels are pretty good. Being a Remington die hard, I broke down a while back and bought a couple of Savages. I'm now a convert as well, and my scores are definitely better.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Silver Member

My vote is for the Savage also. I really do think that Savage's are more consistent shooters, out of the box.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Gold Member

In the past few years, Savage did get their image up, you can thank their marketing department probably reading this and preparing to counterstrike just like on many other forums, well its their tactics and they are getting paid for it and someone out there in the factory who was watching for quality. This year I wasted my money on their 2 high end models 12 LRP and 12 LRPV, both full of defects and wouldn't group less then 1.5". Guess what, I don't buy their definition of accuracy slogan...

Last edited by Jinx-); 07-21-2011 at 10:19 AM.