Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage Stock Bedding Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Silver Member

Re: Savage Stock Bedding Help

Camshaft that is the exact same stock i have that is the exact picture i was looing for on that thing thanx a million.
Now just one last question shoul i take that blind box mag out to bed it or just cover the metal in release agent and clay and bed the thing?
Thanks
Mike
Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Ditto^^^ Don't bed the tang, leave it floated. here's a tip, the last Savage I bedded, I used a piece of putty under the tang (very small piece) in relation to a couple pieces in the bbl channel to hold the correct height of the barreled action with the show lines of the stock, then you can chisel, grind & sand to your hearts content (I was also installing new pillars, which helped). With the putty holding the barreled action where I wanted it, I didn't have to worry about high spots or low spots or an out of square relation between the action & stock (if that makes any sense ). If you get some bedding compound in the mag well area or in the trigger area, so what, that is what they make a dremel or file for.
I used 3 thicknesses of masking tape - worked well.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconwa951 View Post
Camshaft that is the exact same stock i have that is the exact picture i was looing for on that thing thanx a million.
Now just one last question shoul i take that blind box mag out to bed it or just cover the metal in release agent and clay and bed the thing?
Thanks
Mike
I removed my mag box (which is a bitch by the way) and lined the walls of the well with clay before bedding.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camshaft View Post
I removed my mag box (which is a bitch by the way) and lined the walls of the well with clay before bedding.

Man I hear that! The first time you remove that dang thing you wanna throw it out the window before it's all said & done! I did think about putting anything in the mag well (blind mag on mine), a 3-flute 1/8 endmill in my dremel made extremely quick (albeit messy) work of any over flow.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camshaft View Post
The tang area is everything from the bolt handle back.

This is what mine looks like
Thank you for answering that, great job by the way...I had been wondering how to bed around the rear action screw on my stevens 200. Thanks