Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage Stock Bedding Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Silver Member

Savage Stock Bedding Help

I took my savage .308 to a gunsmith i found online said he specialized in savages and long range shooting. I wanted it bedded, wanted him to check the crown and do his "accurizing" work. Also install a picatiny rail on top.
I got it back and went to range and after 10 shots the scope mount was lose and falling off...no big deal i borrowed a fellow shooters torque screwdriver and re tightened the screws the groups were same as before right around 1 to 1.25 moa at 100yds but started stringing after 5 shots or so.
I took the stock loose and this is what i found i have never bedded a rifle before but i though you didnt want anything touching the barrel out past maybe 1/2" to an 1" out hence free floating the barrel. Am i wrong here but he has a contact point 3 inches down the barrel is this suppose to be like this.
Thanks for your help guys.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Savage Stock Bedding Help-riflebedding.jpg  
Old 09-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Gold Member

Re: Savage Stock Bedding Help

Thats a pretty weak bedding job. Did he even install the factory steel pillars?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

I can't see where anything has been done. Looks to me like that "bedding" compound you have there is what the mfg's use - instead of real bedding compound.
1 - 1 1/4" huh? That is the guarantee that most factory rifles come with - straight from the factory with nothing special done. What was it doing before the bedding job?
I'd like to know this gents name so I don't mess up and ever take him one of my rifles. JohnnyK.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Take it back and have him do it right ... at no extra charge.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I would definitely take it back and have him use a real bedding compound like Devcon.

If he is still unsure how it should be done, have him go to 6mmbr.com and watch the video of a true pro doing it.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

If you have any mechanical ability I'd grind it out and do it yourself. Whoever did it for you has no idea how to properly bed it, so why force them to do it wrong again? Let them know you are not satisfied but I would not let them touch it ever again.

The first rifle I ever bedded was a re-do of a poor job from a professional gunsmith, and the rifle went from shooting 4 inch groups at 100 yards to 1 1/2 inch groups at 200 with factory ammo.

Here's a previous post of mine with 3 suggestions:

Help with glass bedding please!

Bedding is not hard to do if you are methodical and pay attention. Be sure to float the tang on that Savage. If you don't know what that means, let us know.

If you're not comforable doing it yourself, then ask for some suggestions for a gunsmith who can do it correctly.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

That's a hack job.
Learn how to do it yourself and tackle it. Use some Devcon. If it doesn't come out right grind it out and do it again.
If you don't want to try it yourself then find a good gunsmith that will send you pictures of some previous jobs.