Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage Short Action???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Silver Member

Savage Short Action???

Hey Guys,

I've got a savage mod 12 short action in .223 that I'm thinking abour rebarreling to something bigger for long range shooting. I already have a brand new 6mmbr in the savage benchrest model for bench shooting so this new chambering will be a long shooter more apt to carry with me hunting. Something big enough to take elk and possibly a moose with some day would be my goals.

So whatchya got for ideas?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Gold Member

Re: Savage Short Action???

If you made it a single shot, the chamberings are almost endless. Buy a new prechambered barrel and different bolt head and viola.
Sticking with the short action chamberings, you could look at the 308 cases or possibly the WSM line up as a few options.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

+1 Gamedog,

WSM's are right up your alley. The 300WSM is very tough to beat.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 04-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Silver Member

So you can build a WSM on any savage or stevens short action? I assume the bolt head would need to be changed to a magnum but that is no biggie. I never though of that.... Alot more stock choices for the short action savage than long action....

DoubleG
Old 04-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleGobble00 View Post
So you can build a WSM on any savage or stevens short action? I assume the bolt head would need to be changed to a magnum but that is no biggie. I never though of that.... Alot more stock choices for the short action savage than long action....

DoubleG
The only short action I've used is the large shank, and that is what Savage builds them on now. It's like opening a can of worms when you ask if the small shank can handle the WSM, I wasn't even thinking of that when I posted. I'd ask Fred at SSS, for the definitive answer. I think they used to do that??

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

I have a 300wsm Hart small shank and a 7mmWSM Shilen small shank. They work just fine.

My next barrel is a 338 Edge small shank.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info. I was just curious. I was thinking of building a 280AI (eventually) on a stevens long action but if I could get a WSM on a short action that would be great! Thanks for the info. I was just throwing around ideas.

Btw, AJ... I have been reloading now for about a year. Started off using Eddybos equipment then once I got started I bought my own. I still work up all my loads at Eddybos place first... He got a sweet setup and helps me out alot. Thank for all the info you provided me with in the past. It was a great help!

DoubleG