Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage LRH stock options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Silver Member

Savage LRH stock options

Can I drop in a Savage LRH long action and barrel into ...say a mcmillan A3 or A5 stock?
Im thinking of picking up a LRH Savage in 300 win mag but I hate the looks of the stock, plus I heard it doesnt hold up.
Savage has the fcp in a mcmillan stock so I thought Id be able to drop in the LRH?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Savage LRH stock options

McMillan does make stocks for Savage LA rifles, and Manners does as well. They are action specific so you will need to order it for your rifle, but they are available.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay View Post
Can I drop in a Savage LRH long action and barrel into ...say a mcmillan A3 or A5 stock?
Im thinking of picking up a LRH Savage in 300 win mag but I hate the looks of the stock, plus I heard it doesnt hold up.
Savage has the fcp in a mcmillan stock so I thought Id be able to drop in the LRH?
I believe the Savage LRH has the Accustock, if so, your options are severely limited for aftermarket stocks. If you want to maximize your options skip the LRH and get a Savage or a Stevens with a notched barrel nut without the Accustock and modify to your liking.

Short actions tend to be the most popular for aftermarket stocks, especially for centerfeed Savages, however Stockade will build you a Long Action centerfeed stock if that's what you end up needing.

Stockade Gun Stocks - specializing in custom rifles
Old 11-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
I believe the Savage LRH has the Accustock, if so, your options are severely limited. If you want to maximize your options skip LRH and get a Savage or a Stevens with a notched barrel nut without the Accustock and modify to your liking.

Short actions tend to be the most popular for aftermarket stocks, especially for centerfeed Savages, however Stockade Stockade Gun Stocks - specializing in custom rifles will cut a Long Action centerfeed if that's what you end up with.
I second the motion. The LRH is a good starting point, but if you want to modify, go with a cheaper model (which will still shoot well) and look in to a Stockade stock.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

I have yet to really play with the accustocks for long enough to get a good feel for long term performance. Anyone have a feeling on them yet? I have heard really good things and really bad. I also heard that they changed the accustock and the new ones aren't good at all.

Any info?