Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage LRH or other??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

Savage LRH or other??

Hey everybody, I want to thank everyone that responded to my first intial post and helped me with questions about my vangaurd. You guys gave me some great infoand I really apprciate it.

Anyways I have a new proposition. I want to build an ultimate 1000 yard hunting rifle for elk and everything else in AZ. I currently have a weatherby vangayrd with no modifacations and I was thinking of upgrading my rifle. I can purchase a savage 111 long range hunter for under 600 brand new. Will this gun be everything I need? Or are there better options out there like the sendero. I want an out of the box tack driver that is capable of 1000 yards and for the money I dont know if I can pass it up.

Or does savage make a better long range hunting rifle? I can get any savage rifle for a really good deal. So if there are any better in the savage line then let me know.

Also, what caliber should i get. I have a 7mm Rem Mag and I REALLY like the round. Is that one of the best long range shooters with knock down power?

I think I can sell my vangaurd with leupold bases and rings for about 350 and then I can sell my buckmasters 4-14x40 scope with BDC for 200. That there alone will pay for my new Savage. I plan on saving money for the ulitmate scope as well. I have my eyes set on the Huskemaw scope. Is there any other scope you all reccomend that has the target turrets. I am just in love with the idea of the adjustable turret once you find the yardage.

I also plan on shooting HSM 168 VLD Bergers. I will reload one day but right now i can only buy factory ammo. I know this is a lot of information and sorry for the long post but thanks for reading. I am really excited to see what you all recomend.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage LRH or other??

Quote:
I want to build an ultimate 1000 yard hunting rifle for elk and everything else in AZ.
"Ultimate" is a tall order as some of the guys in this forum have gear totalling more than my first house.

But, here's my abbreviated response...

If the Vangard shoots sub-MOA, it should be good enough for some long range Elk hunting.

I would expect the Savage LRH to perform even better.

I don't hunt Elk, but I see/here a lot of guys using 7mm Rem Mag very successfully with the right ammo. You might try HSM ammo with the 168 Bergers.

300 Win Mag or 300 WSM would probably be your next step up to give a little cushion. But, any of those will work if you place your bullet through the vitals which is easier to do on paper than in the field.

I think Huskemaw is great. There may be others you should look at before deciding such as Nikon, Sightron, and Vortex for mid-price, decent glass, and repeatable turrets. If you want ultimate, then you need to look at high end Leupold and Vortex models, as well as Nightforce, and Schmidt-Bender.

Save money for a good range finder such as the Leica CRF or perhaps even Swarovski. ...and, accessories bipod, backpack, windmeter, ammo, range fees. ...and, a good sharp knife.

Happy hunting!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Silver Member

My shooting partner is in the process of setting up a 111 LRH 7 mag with Huskemaw scope, it'll be awhile before its shootin but I think its gonna be a good setup.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

What caliber is the LRH? Definitely go with the 7mmRM, 300WM, or 338WM. All will do the job at 1000 and under. For the 7RM you want a 162 A-max, 168 or 180 Berger. The 300 you want 190 to 210 grain bullets, and the 338 use 225's thru 250's. You won't be sorry buying the LRH. For the price of a Huskamaw, you could do better with a Night Force or Schmidt and Bender. They are really nice scopes for the money. Leupy MK4's also fall into this range of price too.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 01-28-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

Elk are tough. I'd use the largest caliber that is in reason. I use a 338 Lapua. With good shot placement my elk got up and ran about 20 yards last October. Many friends use .270's .270 WSM, and have had to chase their elk the rest of the day (or weekend).

Note: the statement "the right ammunition" is true. at $50+ a box most people don't spend the money. If you really want to shoot 1K, I'd go with barnes or Hornady GMX monolithic bullets.

AR's for coyotes
25-06 M70 for coyotes
6.5-06 Remington Custom w/Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20 tactical setup
AR10 for mule deer
6.5-06 M700 for mule deer
338 Lapua Mag M700 for elk
Old 01-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the relpies all. I guess wording ultimate is not right. I want a really good flat shooting rifle out to 1000 yards. I can get the savage LRH in any caliber brand new. The two calibers they make and I would consider is .300 win and 7mm rem mag. I am leaning towards the 7mm mag and using 168 bergers. Is this gun comparable to a sendero? Also is this LRH one of the best shooting svage rifles? I am really liking the Viper PST scopes and am considering one of those or the one without the illuminated reticle. How much better will this gun shoot then my vangaurd just out of the box/ I really want it to be sub moa. Preferably under .75 inch.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 01-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teampete View Post
Thanks for the relpies all. I guess wording ultimate is not right. I want a really good flat shooting rifle out to 1000 yards. I can get the savage LRH in any caliber brand new. The two calibers they make and I would consider is .300 win and 7mm rem mag. I am leaning towards the 7mm mag and using 168 bergers. Is this gun comparable to a sendero? Also is this LRH one of the best shooting svage rifles? I am really liking the Viper PST scopes and am considering one of those or the one without the illuminated reticle. How much better will this gun shoot then my vangaurd just out of the box/ I really want it to be sub moa. Preferably under .75 inch.

Thanks,
Dennis
Out the box with a vangaurd out of the box, the Savage will kick it's butt. Of course ammunition comes into play. You will have to try a few different brands to ensure optimum accuracy. Black Hills, HSM, and Cor-Bon will be the top offerings. Not sure what Federal has to offer. Nosler Custom Ammo would be one to check on. The right ammo should put you into the .5 to .6 range. Make sure you do a good barrel break in. If you handload the skies the limit.

The PST will be a killer scope. They have gotten some good reviews and are very capable. That will more than likely be my next scope purchase. It is between the Sightron, PST, and Leupy.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!