Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage LRH not free floated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

Re: Savage LRH not free floated

Thanks for the info guys. I spoke to one of my buddies who works at the local range here in PHX and a pretty experienced shooter. He says that some guns need a little presure point at the fore end of the stock. He said especially in larger calibers. He said something about shims? Is this true? He recomends I shoot the gun as is and see how it shoots. I thought the accustock was supposed to be free floated? Why would savage send me 2 stocks that aernt?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

If you plan on going for maximum accuracy I would strongly recommend that you float it. Not floating it is a screw up by Savage.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:18 PM

I bought the LRH in a 7mm RM. After shooting 3" groups at 100 yards I checked the barrel and it was not free floated. I took a Dremel tool to it and free floated the barrel (that was an easy job). Now it shoots 1 1/4" groups at 100 Yards. Not what I was hoping for from this gun. Ordered a new barrel from McGowan (7 weeks ago- hoping it arrives shortly) and I will see if it shoots any better. The next step is to try a whole new stock and give up on the whole accustock thing.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

I don't believe the LRH is designed with an intentional pressure point based on the ones I've examined although I haven't removed any stocks.

You can easily free float it with a dowel and sandpaper as explained.

Also as others stated, don't expect Savage to warranty anything if you make any such modifications.

Like your buddy said, shoot it first. If it sucks, then get Savage to repair or replace it. If it just needs a tweak, then float it yourself.

-- richard
Old 07-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
teampete,

Yes, my LRH is a current model with the Accustock, however, Savage makes the Accustock in two forms, one without the wedge, one with. The LRH's do not have a wedge, just a fairly lug recess. The rest of the accustock is the same. I did use a torque wrench to tighten the bedding screws making sure that the lug made contact in the recess per the instructions. I used 45 pounds of torque.
My understanding is the old Accustock had the wedge & the new one does not. My question would be if Sav. thought the wedge gave an advantage, what did they do to offset that advantage by now selling the stock without the wedge?
Old 07-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomosendero View Post
My understanding is the old Accustock had the wedge & the new one does not. My question would be if Sav. thought the wedge gave an advantage, what did they do to offset that advantage by now selling the stock without the wedge?
I'm not sure the wedge is that big of an advantage if you follow the instructions and make sure the lug is snug against the recess. As a matter of fact, I prefer it. My buddy has a stock with the wedge and it's a pain to make are it's positioned properly when putting the action back in the stock. My rifle shoots consistently under 1.5"at 500 yards so I guess the bedding is OK.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:49 AM
Silver Member

SO should the accustock on a lrh be free floated or not? The current one I have is not, and I am getting inconsistant vertical groups...so i am blaming it in the stock not beeing free floated...please advise. thanks