Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

savage long range hunter sighting problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: savage long range hunter sighting problems.

set target 25 yards (3" circle would be nice), place you rifle in gun vise or shooting rest, remove bolt look through bore so you can see your target, then look through scope, adjust your scope to the target, make sure target is visible through bore and your scope.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan79 View Post
Never let the guy at the sporting goods counter mount and bore sight your scopes. Leupold bases and rings never gave me a hassle, but you may want to get a 20 MOA rail and rings to match.
+1

You have a nice rifle. So, you might as well do it right.

Get an EGW 20MOA rail and a pair of Burris Xtreme tactical rings.

Mount the base as instructed here: Securing bases

Mount the scope with a comfortable eye relief for your favorite shooting position.

Aim at a blank sky (or cover the objective lens with a white handkerchief) with parallax set to infinity and focus the cross hairs using the diopter and lock it down. Look away, blink, and check it again to be sure. Don't look at the sun.

Place your rifle on the bench with bags firmly supporting it and adjust the parallax such that moving your head side to side or up and down doesn't move the cross hairs on the target.

Remove the bolt and bag the rifle up firmly with the target at 100 yds centered in the bore as you look through the barrel from behind. Move the cross-hairs using the turrets until they too are centered on the target. Check the bore again and then the scope to be sure that the rifle didn't move while you were adjusting it.

When they are both lined up, fire away. Your first shot will get you on paper, and with a good scope, you should be able to correct for the amount of windage and elevation needed to put the second bullet exactly where you want it.

If you put rails on all your rifles, it'll be a cinch to swap scopes and re-zero.

Let us know how the load workup goes.

Happy hunting!!
-- richard
Old 06-14-2011, 10:26 PM

Wow, thanks guys. I have learned a just reading here, but I really appreciate the help. Sometimes, a good mentor is hard to come by.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:50 PM

I had a the same issue with my LRH 111 in 300WM
Installed my bases and scope, bore sighted, took it down the range and it wasn’t on paper at 50 meters
Using a spotter to spot my shots in the dirt got it on paper with about 6 clicks left in windage on the scope
Having a close look at the bases trying to sort out what’s going on noticed that the muzzle brake looked a little on the piss
Took the gun back to the supplier who had a good look down muzzle with a little torch said he could see where the projectiles had been hitting the side of the brake causing the shots to fly way right
Still waiting to hear back from Savage on what they are going to do about it
Old 06-15-2011, 02:11 AM

Wasn't a tapered base facing the wrong way by any chance?

Matt
Old 06-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Gold Member

Can the base be installed backwards?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:52 AM

I took everything apart and tried to rearrange it several different ways. There was only one way the bases would fit, so I put it back together like it was. I was careful to tighten everything evenly and put it back on the bore sighter. It looks good anyway. I have to go shoot it again to know for sure. I think either something wasn't tight and I didn't catch it or she didn't tighten the screws evenly. Otherwise, I still don't quite understand, but it looks good now.