Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage build project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 05:53 PM

Re: Savage build project

I will be using the stockade money saver prarie dog. Yeah I saw the PTG bolt heads on the web the other day, they look good.

Spoolhead1
Old 10-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolhead1 View Post
I will be using the stockade money saver prarie dog. Yeah I saw the PTG bolt heads on the web the other day, they look good.

Spoolhead1
The prairie dog/tactical is an excellent stock. Make sure you get it ordered, because it's going to take a few months to get. My cousin has one with a 338 Lapua mounted in it. Works great, tracks great, and feels excellent in prone or bench. The PTG bolt head is the way to go for sure. It's really the first upgrade to the bolt head that I know of. My cousin just got a couple for a couple builds he is working on. He has a 300WSM and 6.5x47 Lapua on the burner. Just waiting for parts to come in. When you order your stock, I suggest getting the lift kit, and one of his bolt handles. They make the Savage action work really nice. I did the upgrade on my .308 and it made running the bolt a dream.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Gold Member

ditto on the bolt handle and lift kit. I talked to Kevin last week about progress on my rifle, and finally kicked myself into gear and ordered the bolt handle and lift kit.

get your order in ASAP, it takes quite a while
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Bronze Member

Another endorsement for Kevin Rayhill. He is a great guy and wonderful builder. He built me a 7WSM. Very accurate and reasonable build. For less than $2,000 he built me a true shooter. The gun has shot everything I have put in it sub-moa. I couldn't ask for more.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Here are a few options that Kevin offers that I think are worth while.

Adjustable cheek piece. The bolt won't touch the cheek piece when moved all the way back.

The picture with the bipod and grooved rail slides in the slot at the bottom of the forearm. The part that attaches to the bipod is to the right of the bipod.
Midwayusa sells the part that slides into the rail. It makes it much easer to attach & detach your bipod from the rifle. Kevin may offer them??

The last picture has a recessed sling swivel which is not grabbing your rear bag when target shooting. It leaves a smooth bottom of the rear stock.

joseph
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Savage build project-cheek-rest-.jpg   Savage build project-forend-.jpg  

Savage build project-forend-rail-.jpg   Savage build project-paint-10.jpg  

Last edited by joseph; 10-03-2012 at 11:20 PM.