Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage bolt a little sticky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage bolt a little sticky

Sounds like the brass was neck sized and the shoulder was bump back just enough to give a little resistance. JohnnyK.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Silver Member

I went home last night and tried working the bolt with loaded ammo, new sized brass, and shot brass and they all were sticky.

I took the barreled actio out of the stock and the bolt worked smoothly. I saw where it looked like the bolt knob was rubbing againsty the stock and I relieved it a bit and put the stock back on and it was much smoother.

It also looked like the bolt head has some abrasion marks on it too. Anyway I can smooth the inside out or fix that somehow?
Old 01-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Your front action screw maybe to long and causing the rubbing on your bolt head. When I did some work to my brothers rifle, that was the problem with his. When I had my 300WSM reamed it needed to go back to the Gunsmith after a little while. The chamber required some polishing and the head spacing backed off. Everything was a little too tight. It worked just fine after that until I fried the barrel. You may want to have the chamber looked at for any rough spots, or head spacing. My problem was loading neck sized only brass and ejecting spent rounds.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

Well I figured it out. The front action screw was a bit too long, so I ground it down a hair and presto! Silky smooth action.

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate the help.