Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage Bear Hunter vs Long Range Hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 10:48 PM

Re: Savage Bear Hunter vs Long Range Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sand8s View Post
also can you recommend someone who will bead blast it.
Most any gunsmith should have the ability. I have had GAP, APA and Accurate Ordnance do it over the years but I am sure someone local can do it for you.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:59 AM
Silver Member

If the Accustock is not properly tuned it won't shoot right. And if you have ever taken it out of the stock, maybe to adjust the trigger, and just tightened down all screws, the barrel may not be properly floating, or you may have more pressure on one point in the action than another. The accustock is great but it is definitely a pain in the butt. Once you figure it out it is not hard to tune at all, and you can get it right every time. If you have already checked this and you know for a fact it is right, then feel free to disregard this.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Bronze Member

I have a stainless muzzle loader that I just spray painted the action/barrel with matte black. It worked good. Have to watch what chemicals get on it, but the MZ ckeans w/soap & water

I didn't want a shiny rifle to hunt elk at 50-100 yds
Old 01-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Silver Member

i wouldnt get a different gun. a longer barrel doesnt make a gun more accurate in fact vertical stringing is more prevalent in longer barrels and takes more time and expense to deal with than a shorter more stout barrel.

personally if your not happy with it i would try ditching the accustock and get a stock with a full length allumn block and have it bedded from the rear of the action to the first 3" of the barrel. load tuning will be a walkin the park after that
Old 01-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfvickers View Post
If the Accustock is not properly tuned it won't shoot right. And if you have ever taken it out of the stock, maybe to adjust the trigger, and just tightened down all screws, the barrel may not be properly floating, or you may have more pressure on one point in the action than another. The accustock is great but it is definitely a pain in the butt. Once you figure it out it is not hard to tune at all, and you can get it right every time. If you have already checked this and you know for a fact it is right, then feel free to disregard this.
can you explain to me how to tune the stock??? I have taken the stock off to adjust the trigger and that could be my problem. Is there anywhere to get more educated on this?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sand8s View Post
can you explain to me how to tune the stock??? I have taken the stock off to adjust the trigger and that could be my problem. Is there anywhere to get more educated on this?
I forget where I saw a video or read an article on tuning the stock. Google it. I'm sure you'll find something.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

As luck would have it, accurateshooter.com has the article I was thinking of when I said about torque settings for the Savage action.

Tuning Savage Actions Using Action Screw Torque Settings Daily Bulletin
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!