Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage Bear Hunter vs Long Range Hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Savage Bear Hunter vs Long Range Hunter

Hey guys, I have been reading this sight for a few months and have just started shooting long ranges (being taught) this year. I bought a Savage Bear Hunter in the 300wsm in the summer of 2010. I hunted with it this year and was impressed with the killing power of a 300wsm..(nothing ran) but that was also due to high shoulder shots which I have learned drop deer DRT. I only have the gun for hunting.
My question is did I make the wrong move in buying the BEAR Hunter instead of the Long Range Hunter. here is only an inch difference in the barrel, but my Bear Hunter seems to drift after the second shot,,is it because of such a hot load. I havent needed to take any follow up shots.
It seems since learing about long range shooting, and the Long Range Hunter having the adjustable check plate, ( 4-16x50mm Vortex PST 30mm tube)would make more since and has 1 more inch of barrel. Plus the Stainless Barrel on the Bear Hunter Glares when shooting toward the sun in the evenings and blurs/clouds my vision.
Just tell me something to make me feel better. I can sell the Bear Hunter and get the LRH because I get guns at wholesale prices.

Also all I have been shooting is Remington SCIRROCO 180gr...does anybody have a got hand load for the 300WSM
Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage Bear Hunter vs Long Range Hunter

I wouldnt sell the gun. The reason that your second shot is drifting is most likely that the barrel isnt free-floated. I would float it and do a good bedding job, rather yourself or by a smith, and start handloading. Your point of impact is probably going to change after a few shots even with the barrel floated. That would be due to heat bringing out the stress in you barrel.
Scirrocco II's are excellent bullets, but I have never hand loaded with them.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
I wouldnt sell the gun. The reason that your second shot is drifting is most likely that the
Quote:
barrel isnt free-floated
. I would float it and do a good bedding job, rather yourself or by a smith, and start handloading. Your point of impact is probably going to change after a few shots even with the barrel floated. That would be due to heat bringing out the stress in you barrel.
Scirrocco II's are excellent bullets, but I have never hand loaded with them.
its an accu-stock...its free floating
Old 01-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

How many 5 shot groups have you shot with it? I am guessing by your post, not many. When you say it "seems" to drift, that implies you do not know for sure. To be sure, you have to have a sufficient data group to evaluate. A couple of shots to check zero doesn't cut it. Shoot some groups with it, and some groups with a smaller caliber rifle of known quality, and post them on here. That will give us some info to give you an idea of what you have. You don't have the
"wrong" rifle, just need to keep practicing. Quality practice.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:19 PM

The barrel length is not the issue, I have friends with 22" 300wm that are tack drivers. The slight velocity loss should not cause a problem in accuracy.

You can have your rifle bead blasted very inexpensive and get rid of that shinny finish and add a Karsten cheek riser just like the LRH for cheap think they are $60 or so and go on easy.

My guess would be check accuracy and if it is an issue the ADJ break on the bear hunter could be the issue. I am not familiar with the savage system but I know the BOSS on Brownings can be a mess and anything adjustable on a barrel just seams to be inviting issues to me?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRT View Post
The barrel length is not the issue, I have friends with 22" 300wm that are tack drivers. The slight velocity loss should not cause a problem in accuracy.

You can have your rifle bead blasted very inexpensive and get rid of that shinny finish and add a Karsten cheek riser just like the LRH for cheap think they are $60 or so and go on easy.

My guess would be check accuracy and if it is an issue the ADJ break on the bear hunter could be the issue. I am not familiar with the savage system but I know the BOSS on Brownings can be a mess and anything adjustable on a barrel just seams to be inviting issues to me?
The gun does shoot better with the break closed..thats one thing I have noticed.
also can you recommend someone who will bead blast it.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Go to Savage.com. I believe there is some information on tuning the stock to the load you shoot. Because of the locking mechanism on the recoil lug, you can tune the action to the stock with torque adjustments on the action screws. The Karsten is a great option. I have one and it's easy to install. Took me all of five minutes. $68 shipped to your door.

The other conclusion I come too, is the load itself. I have after loading thousands of rounds that if a load isn't properly tailored to the rifle you use, you always get a point of impact change on the first shot known as the cold bore shot. Then usually the point of impact changes with consecutive shots. I have been able to tailor my loads that the cold bore impacts with the group. You may have to try different factory ammo to find something more in tune with your barrel.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!