Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage barrel and brake - Who can do the work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Savage barrel and brake - Who can do the work?

Kevin Cram of Montour County Rifles. I been seeing allot of savages runnin thru his shop lately. He does all my work. He will be able to getcha a barrel also and fill you in on lead times of each manufactuer.

Search his screen name "Kevin Cram" his work speaks for itself.

His number is 570-437-2010
Old 10-26-2010, 07:44 PM
SPONSOR

Hi Torchrider,

I'd be more than happy to discuss the work you'd like done. I'd recommend the 7WSM with the 180 Bergers. I do quite a bit of work on Savages and can get you all the components you'd need and install them. For barrel recommendations I really like Brux barrels. They've got a good turn around time and their quality of barrel is superb. I have Brux barrels on a few of my personal guns as well as chamber several customers guns with them and they have all been great shooters. As far as muzzle brakes if you'll be doing any prone shooting I'd go with a timed brake with ports at 3 and 9 o'clock so you don't get dirt blown all over you and your rifle. For timed brakes I install the Muscle Brake. It's the best quality brake from machining to performance. If your shooting off the bench you could go with a radial brake like a Vais. For the chamber I have a excellent PTG 7WSM reamer with .320 neck and no throat. I then custom throat to match a supplied dummy round. All you'd need to do is seat the 180 Berger to where you'd like it and I match the throat in the chamber to your dummy round you sent. If you'd like to discuss more about the build please feel free to give me a call or shoot me an e-mail.
(570) 437 - 2010 or kevin@mcrifles.com

www.mcrifles.com
Old 10-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORCHRIDER View Post
Guys, first let me say Thank You to all who have answered my many noobie long range questions. I have learned a bunch over the last few weeks. I have decided to make my build a 7mm WSM or .284 on my Stevens 200 action.

My next question is who should I get the barrel from that can make a std. shank barrel, cut a chamber so that it has a lead that will handle the 180gr. Bergers / 180gr. VLD, and mount a good muzzle brake. It takes the std./small shank.

Also, if you can recommend a barrel that would be nice as well.

I am in Central Texas, but the provider can be from anywhere.

Thanks Again!
I had Brux Barrels send a rifled blank to Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Gun Stocks to build mine. He is one of the best in the business and works mostly on Savage rifles. He also makes his own stocks which are as good as any out there and reasonably priced. I asked him to build a shooter and boy did he. The first 5 shot group at 100 yds measured .084". I even shot it at another gun makers range and they put there rifles away and only shot mine.

Take a look here:

My new long range popgun. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

Last edited by joseph; 10-26-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Gold Member

Kevin Rayhill does great work on Savages.

Last edited by brentc; 10-27-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Silver Member

Kevin Rayhill has lot's of experience with Savages and the 7mmWSM.I think the 7WSM is his favorite cartridge.