Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage barrel and brake - Who can do the work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Silver Member

Savage barrel and brake - Who can do the work?

Guys, first let me say Thank You to all who have answered my many noobie long range questions. I have learned a bunch over the last few weeks. I have decided to make my build a 7mm WSM or .284 on my Stevens 200 action.

My next question is who should I get the barrel from that can make a std. shank barrel, cut a chamber so that it has a lead that will handle the 180gr. Bergers / 180gr. VLD, and mount a good muzzle brake. It takes the std./small shank.

Also, if you can recommend a barrel that would be nice as well.

I am in Central Texas, but the provider can be from anywhere.

Thanks Again!

Last edited by TORCHRIDER; 10-26-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage barrel and brake - Who can do the work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORCHRIDER View Post
Guys, first let me say Thank You to all who have answered my many noobie long range questions. I have learned a bunch over the last few weeks. I have decided to make my build a 7mm WSM or .284 on my Stevens 200 action.

My next question is who should I get the barrel from that can make a std. shank barrel, cut a chamber so that it has a lead that will handle the 180gr. Bergers / 180gr. VLD, and mount a good muzzle brake. It takes the std./small shank.

Also, if you can recommend a barrel that would be nice as well.

I am in Central Texas, but the provider can be from anywhere.

Thanks Again!
I've had Sin Arms chamber a couple barrels for me. He does great work. You can find him on Savageshooters.

BTW, since you have a long action, you probably won't have to worry about where the 180g bullet sits. That's mostly a concern for hitting the lands and still fitting in a magazine.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Geargrinder. I understand the action and magazine will support bullets loaded out, but doesn't the throat in the chamber need to be longer that std. to accept the 180gr. bullets loaded out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
I've had Sin Arms chamber a couple barrels for me. He does great work. You can find him on Savageshooters.

BTW, since you have a long action, you probably won't have to worry about where the 180g bullet sits. That's mostly a concern for hitting the lands and still fitting in a magazine.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

Just send your action, lug and muzzle brake to benchmark barrels they did the exact thing your asking for me. Got it and another barrel in about 12 weeks the guys there are awesome to deal with and they always have time to talk by phone or email.

Nathan
Old 10-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Nathan, I left them a message to call me back.
Was your action a Stevens/Savage?
Did you receive a complete action/lug/barrel back from them?
What brake did you end up going with and how did you know which diameter brake to purchase?

Thanks,

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nddodd View Post
Just send your action, lug and muzzle brake to benchmark barrels they did the exact thing your asking for me. Got it and another barrel in about 12 weeks the guys there are awesome to deal with and they always have time to talk by phone or email.

Nathan
Old 10-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Dave, I used a savage precision target action and used one of Jim See's medium style muscle brakes. Len sells them here at LRH. I sent all this stuff to the guys at benchmark and they did the rest. UPS delivered if to my door step last Friday. I don't think you'd go wrong with them or Devin at Sin Arms I've never used him but I've heard many good things about him. I'd also look into using Jim See at centershot rifles he is very good as well.

Nathan
Old 10-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORCHRIDER View Post
Thanks Geargrinder. I understand the action and magazine will support bullets loaded out, but doesn't the throat in the chamber need to be longer that std. to accept the 180gr. bullets loaded out?
Yes and no. Usually you'll need a short throat when you have magazine limitations. That's the most common need for a special throat length.

Most standard throat lengths are designed around the usual short fat hunting rounds. Those lengths are usually quite generous for VLC/Tangent type ogives.

It would be good to discuss this with whoever is going to chamber your barrel.