Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage Accustock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

Savage Accustock

Hi all,

I am a long time reader, first time poster. I am looking to buy/build an accurate long range gun in 25-06. I will use it primarily for long range varmints, mule deer and antelope. I have had a desire to do this for a number of years but kept putting it off due to one thing or another. I know it isn't the most ballistic efficient caliber but I have an itch for the 1/4 bore that needs to be scratched.

I am trying to find out info on Savage’s new accustock. It looks like a very good upgrade from their current stocks, which is scary since I have seen some amazing shooting from their standard stock and a little work. Any actual experience with this stock yet? Is it as good as it sounds or am I going to end up going aftermarket anyway or doing stock work to accustock?

Also, I am looking at the 110fcp as a new gun option. I know it is their law enforcement series but it seems to have most of what I am looking for. My plan would be to use the stock barrel, if it performs as desired, for bench/varmint shooting and then screw on a lighter contour barrel come hunting season for deer and pronghorn antelope. Any thoughts, concerns, suggestions regarding moving in this direction? I guess if the accustock isn't that important then there are likely other models that may fit my needs.

Thanks in advance,

Scot E.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: Savage Accustock

find a sendero 25/06. It has every thing you need, and its a Remington. Not trying to be a smart a** .Just my take on it.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Bronze Member

nothing against savage because they are great and very easy to work with but i have to say i love the senderos too! i have one in .2506 and .270 and they both are real shooters but so has been every savage i have put in my hands. but if you are worried about the weight in the sav tact for hunting and wanting to switch before season to a sporter then dont let anybody talk u out of the savage because the barrel switch is ten times easier to do by urself.after you shoot the thing i have a hard time believing u will want to throw a sporter on it to save a couple pounds but by all means do what u want and dont let anybody talk u out of it.that thing should shoot as good as any.good luck
Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Scot E,
338 Legend gives good advise. I have a .25-06 Sendero SF (no plans to sell it) and it has produced great accuracy with everything I've tried in it, with the exception of the Hornady 75gr V-Max. Never could get it to shoot those worth a darn. My son is using it right now.
I looked at the Savage 110FCP and that would be a nice rifle and you could probably get it cheaper than the Remington. It has a the Accu-stock, Accu-trigger and muzzle break. The muzzle break would probably come in handy while varmint hunting, allowing you to see your hits/misses. I've owned several Savages and they have been shooting machines!
Swapping the barrels on a Savage is always an option. I've never explored that as I've always had other rifles around to fill any niches and the Savages shot just fine.
If/when you get that .25-06 PM me and I'll send you some load data for the 115gn VLD Berger - great bullet for that caliber! JohnnyK.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Thank you for the advice so far. I do like the sendero but I am not sure it has the flexibility I want as far as potential barrel changes that I can do easily. Also, I am pretty sure that Remington doesn't make the sendero in 25-06 anymore which means I would have to buy used or maybe get lucky and find a few remaning leftover new ones that may hanging around. Finally, I have been hearing so much about how these savages flat out shoot I am ready to try one for myself!

Thanks for the offer on VLD loads also! That is the primary bullet I hope to use for mulies!

Any more suggestions!

Thanks,

Scot E.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

I have not used the accu-stock, but the rifles are phenominal out of the box accuracy. I think you will do just fine with a savage. I own two as of right now. I also have a remmy in a model 7, but it is going to need some work. The accu-stock is pretty new, so information and actual usage is pretty scarce I imagine right now. I don't think you would be going wrong from what I have read about them. I just can't afford the law enforcement models right now.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

I recently purchased my first Savage. i was a die hard Remington fan.
I have the model 16 in 7WSM. Load work up is done and 140 accubonds shoot right at 1/2 inch at a hundred. The 168 Berger VLD is scary. Shoots a ragged hole at 100.
I don't know how the accustock can help that out too much but I would not hesitate to buy another.
SD