Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage Accuracy, disappointed, free floated barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 02:21 PM

Savage Accuracy, disappointed, free floated barrel

I'm new to long range shooting but I am in the process of getting hooked. After lurking here for a while and reading the great things about Savage rifles I figured I would do what was suggested- buy a savage and then if it doesn't shoot replace the barrel and then I should have a long range gun. (beginning to think I should have forked out the big bucks and done it right the first time but I didn't want to wait 4-6 months or spend 4k for a new . Anyway I purchased a Savage LRH 7mm RM, it has the Accustock. I was hoping for MOA or better. Placed a Leupold VX III 4-14 on it. Broke in the barrel cleaning after every shot for 10 shots, then after every 3rd shot for 30 shots. I've shot groups with 168 bergers, 180 bergers, 2 different factory loads- the best three shot group I can manage is 1 7/8". Last evening after a frustrating day at the range I noticed that the barrel is not free floating. It is snugged up tight at the foreend on the left side of the barrel.
My first impression is to take the dremmel tool to it and fix it but I figured I'd ask your opinions before I did anything too rash.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: Savage Accuracy, disappointed, free floated barrel

It may be a good idea to just take the action out of the stock and re-install.
That can make a big difference if it was done improperly at the factory for some reason.

You may want to try a different bullet as well, I can barely get 3 MOA with bergers in my savage, but get 1/2 MOA with accubonds. But... bergers shoot just fine in another one of my savages.

Here is some info on how to properly put the action in an accustock.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:03 PM

I did the reinstall of the action thing already using the torque specifications that came with the gun
Old 05-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

Try to maintain the barrel clearance as you tighten the action screws. Sometimes they just try to gravitate naturally to one side of the other.

Try for groups with a dirty barrel. My old 300win factory barrel needed about 15 shots before the groups would tighten up.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

I would say that if it continues to touch the forearm, go ahead and remove some material until you can push a credit card under the barrel or three thicknesses of printer paper. You may want to use sand paper as that will give you better control of removing material (unless you have good control using a dremel). I usually find a socket that closely matches the channel size and the paper gives me the right amount of diameter. Just make sure you don't take any off the side that is already clearing. If you need any extra help, I found that Kevin Rayhill is a good source of information from Stockadestocks.com.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

X2 for Kevin Rayhill.

Getting the action "glass bedded or other material" is always a good idea and may solve your problem. Talk to Kevin he will probably bed it for you in short order. Time will depend on his work load.

joseph

Last edited by joseph; 05-16-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Bronze Member

I would go with what some others said. But try with a dirty barrel. I have a 30-06 that shoot 3 moa on a clean barrel. Then after fouling it right it stops stringing between 4-6 shots and then shoots under half moa all day long. Other than that play with your ammo or see if you could get it bedded right if its a stock issue.