Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage 6.5 X 284 Long Range Hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage 6.5 X 284 Long Range Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHGriff View Post
Thanks Tank...what I meant was I was searching this forum for info on this caliber and specifically this rifle in this caliber. I rarely get results when using the search function by caliber. It says no results but maybe there are too many results?

I'm looking at bases right now and wondering if anyone is using a one piece base. Do most use two piece bases? Should I get a 20 moa set? I'm kind of new to LRH and shooting so any help is appreciated.

Jim
The most extensive info I have found is 2 sources. The first is a Shooting Times Magazine. They did a review on the exact rifle you own and different ammo. Look for the Dec 09/Jan 2010 issue. If you can find it, it should give you some insight to your rifle. For the caliber alone, go to: 6.5-284 Cartridge Guide

For a base, I wouldn't think a 20MOA would be necessary for the speed the cartridge carries, but shouldn't hurt anything. More clicks in the scope isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe check out rings instead. What I mean by this is that Burris makes a ring that you can use inserts for MOA adjustments verses being stuck with a solid base. One piece base is all I use.

The Burris Signature Z rings allow you to purchase inserts in increments of 10MOA. This keeps from having to purchase a solid base or try to shim which can cause binding in the scope. I use these rings plus a 20MOA base on my LR rig (300WSM w/ heavy bullets and low velocity). It allows me to keep my scope at its lowest click count to give me more vertical adjustment.

Here is what I use:

EGW Savage RB (Round Back) Picatinny Tactical Rail Scope Mount - $39.99 : Evolution Gun Works , World Class Precision Parts

Scopes - rings by Burris Optics

You are going to need the exact base only in the long action. Should you choose the 20 MOA then a standard set of rings to fit the scope body you have should be all you need.

That's about all can help you with at this point.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage 6.5 X 284 Long Range Hunter

Some quotes from the magazine:

"The center-feed design of the Savage internal box magazine feeds cartridges more smoothly than a conventional staggered magazine, ans it is extremely reliable as well."

"The Long-Range Hunter will be offered in several popular chamberings, but the star of the show in my opinion is the 6.5x284 Norma. Try it on your next hunt. You'll thank me later."

"Among the bullets tried in handloads, the star accuracy performers in this particulasr rifle were the Hornady 129grn SST and the Swift 130frn Scirocco II."

Load info:
Hornady 129 SST RL 22 54.0grns 3.045" 3015fps 0.67" at 100yrds
Swift 130 Scirocco II RL 22 54.0grns 3.060" 3028 0.72" at 100yrds

Nosler 120grn ballistic tip was the most accurate for the factory loadings. You want to stay away from the Scenar bullets because they don't expand.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!