Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage 308 troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Bronze Member

Savage 308 troubles

I don't post much on here, but I do a lot of reading. I have a problem, and would like to get some opinions.

About a year and a half ago I purchased a Savage Model 11 in 308. It was one of the package deals at Cabelas that included a Pine Ridge scope. While in the store, I purchased a Nikon Buckmasters scope and had them mount it. My plan was to use this gun for deer hunting, replacing the Remington Model 788 243 I have been using for 20 years.

When I sighted the gun in, it seemed my groups were all over the place. I couldn't seem to get it right. I don't consider myself a great shot, especially not for long range at this point, but I have never had a problem hitting targets and deer out to 200 yds with my 243.

My first thought was a defective scope. I did some research on the Nikon and found a couple of people that had similar problems, but most of the reviews were great. I had a cheap BSA scope laying around, so I put it on the gun, and had similar results, and put the gun in the cabinet.

Yesterday, I decided to spend some time shooting and trying to resolve this issue. I still had the BSA on there, and I still had the same results. I put the Nikon back on, same results. I would say it has about a 10" group at 200 yds, using a bipod and sandbag in the rear. After giving up on the 308, I shot the 243 and it did great. I also had a buddy shoot the 308, with the same result.

One thing I did not do is go through a barrel break in procedure. I have always heard mixed opinions on this, and now I'm starting to regret that decision.

For this hunting season it looks like I will be sticking with the trusty 243 (it has never failed me) but I would really like to get my 308 issues resolved.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Savage 308 troubles

Have you checked the crown of the muzzle at all for burrs or irregularities? Is the stock making contact with the barrel? I'm assuming you've checked and rechecked the bases and rings of the rifle since you've mounted a couple different scopes on there. If it were myself, I would call Savage and ask them--they will probably have you send the gun back if it's as bad as you say it is.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Bronze Member

The muzzle seems fine. A piece of paper easily slides between the barrel and the stock all the way back to the barrel nut. I have checked the bases and rings.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Have you checked that action screws? It may just be a lemon. These things happen. I am an avid Savage fan, but sometimes it happens. Take it to a gun smith. Have him look it over and see if there is a burr in the throat, chamber or something in the barrel you can't see without a barrel scope. I had a burr in the throat that would mark up my bullets. Had a smith clean up the throat and no problems. Even with the burr in it, I still managed a .233" group prone at 100yrd. What ammo are you using. Have you been using the same stuff or different brands and bullets? If you are shooting Remmy core-lokt, I wouldn't expect a whole lot. Try some premium ammo to see if you get the same results.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Bronze Member

Did you check the rings and bases for proper torque? My brother once bought a package like yours and had the same problem. When he finally checked, he found both the base screws and the rings to be loose. After tightening, problem cured.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Slide a piece of paper under the tang also to make sure that it is not tight, I had one get all tweek out similar to what your experiencing because I had heavy contact at the tang.

Base screws are also a likely culprit, I started bedding all of mine and just kicking that in the butt before shot one!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnub View Post
The muzzle seems fine. A piece of paper easily slides between the barrel and the stock all the way back to the barrel nut. I have checked the bases and rings.
Have a friend set up with the bipod (don't load while doing this) and slide a dollar down the barrel while he looks down the scope if shooting. Sometimes that will tweak the stocks just enough to tough.

My Savage 308 shoots under 1/2" groups at least 3 out 4. It's the shooter that generally has the problem.

One other question: accustock/accutrigger?
J