Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage 12 F-Class Rebarrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage 12 F-Class Rebarrel

The 338LM sounds exciting. But, some people raise concerns about the suitability of this action. Others go on to state that the 110BA is beefed up to handle the extra pressure/bolt thrust.

On the other hand, Savage sells the 338 Win Mag on this action. So, one might infer that it's safe to build.

I assume the 338 Edge is somewhere in between. But, how could one determine that it's safe to build in this action without maiming one's self?

Also, is the Berger 338 hybrid still made/sold? And, is it really a .8 BC? If so, does anyone shoot this bullet from a 338 Win Mag? Or, is there a better long range 338 Bullet?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
The 338LM sounds exciting. But, some people raise concerns about the suitability of this action. Others go on to state that the 110BA is beefed up to handle the extra pressure/bolt thrust.

I assume the 338 Edge is somewhere in between. But, how could one determine that it's safe to build in this action without maiming one's self?

Right now that rifle I told you about is being restocked in a Stockade target stock and has a pain killer break on it. It has fired upwards of 500rnds and still going strong. He has even shot high pressure loads and has use of his fingers, and eyes. He has shot everything from 225's up to the 300SMK. He is planning on ordering the Hybrid Berger and putting it through its paces. It's safe. The BA action I believe was designed by Stiller Actions. It is beefier. I would love to get my hands on one, but they won't sell it as a component.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

They will hold a 338 edge which takes a slight advantage over the lapua, and you can feed them in at a sharp angle with out bolt removal, savage actions are strong especially the target actions, solid floor no mag well, and the regular mag bolt face can be modified for the lapuas and large weatherbys.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Wth the main difference between 338LM vs 338Edge being the boltface in terms of not having to machine anything...

Here's what I think needs to be done...

start with a Savage 12 F-Class Rifle
purchase barrel wrench and barrel vise (possibly wood blocks)

Do I need a special wrench to hold the reciever to avoid twisting it?

Shilen 30", 1:10 twist, throat +.050, stainless heavy barrel, threadded for a brake
(Shilen - because they are just down the road a piece.)

Savage standard magnum replacement bolt head

Remington 300 RUM brass
CCI 250 primers
H1000 powder
Berger 300gr Hybrid Bullets or Sierra 300gr SMK

What do I use for go/no-go guages? Can these be ordered for 338 Edge?

What do I use for dies? Can these be ordered for 338 Edge?

I still want to do some verification to be sure this is safe. But, it sure sounds doable.

So after a 500+ rounds, will I be able to revert back to 6mm BR and still shoot accurately? Or, is it going to hammer the reciever lug abutments?

Thanks!
Richard
Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

A go/no go gauge for a 300 rum will work, and I would go with a 28" barrel to keep the harmonics down. And max pressure is max pressure no matter the cartridge so it will not hurt the receiver.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Good points backwoods83, et. al.

I just don't have formal training in designing rifles/cartridges. So, I don't want to make any fatal assumptions.

It's one thing to go with a cartridge that Savage chambers in this particular action at the factory. But, my Lyman handbook shows notably higher pressure for 338RUM and 338LM than the 338 Win Mag which I think is the largest that Savage builds. ...other than the 110BA which may or may not be beefed up.

On the other hand, safety is not the only reason they choose not to chamber other calibers. Sometimes it's just a matter of the business case.

If I understand correctly, then you guys are advocating build it and work up the load starting at some point below 338 Win Mag levels and work up gradually. If the case, primer, bolt don't show signs of excessive pressure, then I should be all good? ...whereas overloading any cartridge, even a factory chambered .223 Rem would be dangerous anyway.

thanks
richard
Old 01-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
If I understand correctly, then you guys are advocating build it and work up the load starting at some point below 338 Win Mag levels and work up gradually. If the case, primer, bolt don't show signs of excessive pressure, then I should be all good? ...whereas overloading any cartridge, even a factory chambered .223 Rem would be dangerous anyway.

thanks
richard
Yes! Anytime you exceed the max allowed pressures designed of an available caliber, no mater how big or small, you are taking a chance at damaging something. That is why it is important to watch for signs of over pressure like flattened primers, or ejector marks, and a stick bolt lift. These are all causes of pushing a cartridge past its intended pressure curve.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!