Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage 111 or Tikka T3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Savage 111 or Tikka T3

I have 3 Tikkas, a .270wsm laminate/stainless, a .243 t3 lite, and a 25-06 t3 stainless. All of them will shoot five shots inside of an inch easily @ 100. Triggers are great and easily adjustible. Bolt is very smooth. Machining is very precise and operation is slick. The barrels on them are all well free floated.

Pretty much they kick ass. I would take pay the extra $$$ for the tikka. You won't have to do $hit to it and it will out shoot most any other factory rifle, even some of the high end stuff.

I just wouldn't recommend getting anything larger than a 30-06 in the lite versions. Any thing above an 06 is going to kick HARD. Even my 25-06 will buck me on the bench a little and I'm 6-3, 220 lbs.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Gold Member

so it looks like the tikka t3 is what everyone prefers...unfortunately they sold the stainless one so they only have a blued version left and the stainless are backordered from Finland until mid November the guy said. They do have some ruger m77s in stainless...man I don't know what to do now.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightfootE View Post
I have 3 Tikkas, a .270wsm laminate/stainless, a .243 t3 lite, and a 25-06 t3 stainless. All of them will shoot five shots inside of an inch easily @ 100. Triggers are great and easily adjustible. Bolt is very smooth. Machining is very precise and operation is slick. The barrels on them are all well free floated.

Pretty much they kick ass. I would take pay the extra $$$ for the tikka. You won't have to do $hit to it and it will out shoot most any other factory rifle, even some of the high end stuff.

I just wouldn't recommend getting anything larger than a 30-06 in the lite versions. Any thing above an 06 is going to kick HARD. Even my 25-06 will buck me on the bench a little and I'm 6-3, 220 lbs.
+1!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
so it looks like the tikka t3 is what everyone prefers...unfortunately they sold the stainless one so they only have a blued version left and the stainless are backordered from Finland until mid November the guy said. They do have some ruger m77s in stainless...man I don't know what to do now.
Wait for the Tikka.. for sure.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever View Post
Wait for the Tikka.. for sure.
wait for the stainless or go for the blued one?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
If stainless is what you want, then look around. I know you are in NY but Im in CA and most the shops around here have one or two on the shelf. They don't sell like they should because the average joe who buys a rifle at a gun store has never heard of a Tikka.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Bronze Member

BudsGuns.. always has them and will ship to your FFL. It's even cheaper if you pay them with cashiers check or money order.. Look into it, you might have one in 7 days or so.