Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Savage 110 FCP HS Precision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 05:17 PM

Savage 110 FCP HS Precision

Hi everyone been a while since i was last here , so i thought it best to re-introduce myself.

Im Liam and i live on the Shetland Islands just north of Scotland. I have recently had my firearms licence upgraded to having a 338 Lap mag i have been shooting some mid-range targets out to 500 yards with my .22-250 with some success and id like to progress beyond 1000 yards soon , initially i thought to get a a rifle custom made then thought it would be cheaper to just go down a factory made rifle route. So i have mentioned said rifle in the title of the post. But i cant seem to find that much info on it, can anyone shed some light on this, as all i read about is the scope base not being the advertised as 20moa.

I would also be thinking to top it off with a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25

Cheers

Liam
Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage 110 FCP HS Precision

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray88 View Post
Hi everyone been a while since i was last here , so i thought it best to re-introduce myself.

Im Liam and i live on the Shetland Islands just north of Scotland. I have recently had my firearms licence upgraded to having a 338 Lap mag i have been shooting some mid-range targets out to 500 yards with my .22-250 with some success and id like to progress beyond 1000 yards soon , initially i thought to get a a rifle custom made then thought it would be cheaper to just go down a factory made rifle route. So i have mentioned said rifle in the title of the post. But i cant seem to find that much info on it, can anyone shed some light on this, as all i read about is the scope base not being the advertised as 20moa.

I would also be thinking to top it off with a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25

Cheers

Liam
Well a buddy of mine just bought the same rig and he's very pleased with it. Hasn't gotten a lot of rounds down range as yet but it's shooting sub .75 moa and isn't even through the break in period yet.

He topped his with a zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 with the Z-1000 reticle and has been well pleased.

You will want to plan on a very good recoil pad and effective muzzle brake because they can be a bit tough on the shooter.

Best advice is before buying, find someone who has one who'll let you try their's out for a few rounds unless you've shot heavy recoiling rifles in the past.

I'm not recoil sensitive at all and I don't mind admitting that in less than a 16lbs configuration more than about 5 rounds and it does start to wear on me.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Here is a really good review on this very rifle:

My new Savage 338 LM 110 HS Precision

If I were to buy a Lapua from Savage, it would more than likely be this one. However I do really like the 110BA, but its a little salty for me.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-11-2011, 12:34 PM

That a good write up , he seems quite pleased with his! I havent had much experience with heavy recoiling rifles as i currently only have my .22-250 and .243 , but i have had a few shots of my friends 300 winmag which i find easy manageable.

Can any of you recommend which dies to go for when it comes to reloading and what other equpiment i may need if i reload this caliber so far it seems that when i reload my .22-250 i can rattle the rounds off the press with little fuss and still get tight groups , i am not expecting the same with this round also id like to spend abit more time perfecting my reloading techquies with this round so i can get my best possible accuracy.

Also i had exbal for my pda but unfotunately i have let the thing go flat which in turn made it loose all its data, i never realised this happend so when i went to power it up i had lost my only copy of exbal, and the computer which had the original is no kapoot! I have spoken with gerald perry he replied once but i have heard no more from him. Any of you guys shed some light on this wether he uses this forum or not?

Cheers