Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

SAUM and WSM Shooters reloading Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Silver Member

Re: SAUM and WSM Shooters reloading Question

Camper. What bullet are you using with those loads.

Not pressing it too hard either Still staying within published loads Hodgton lists an extra 1.5 grains as max. My best group hit about 1 grain or so from max. Over that velocity started to level out and accuracy open again. Figured I found my sweet spot with h4831. Still need to give h4350 a go. Hodgton powders are the easiest for me to get

I topped out at around 2900. About the velocities posted for a 24 inch barrel. I'm running a 26 Still only 50 rounds through and still copper fowling pretty good. We will see what another 50-100 will do

Side note, breaking in another 260. Shilen select bull. Can't believe this barrel. 20 or so rounds and almost zero copper. I even changed cleaning a bit because I thought something was up! It's shaping up as a hammer to. For sure the most accurate rifle I've owned. First F Class shoot it two weeks with it. Super excited. Sorry for the tangent
Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 AM
Gold Member

Sorry, I should have said...

Been using 160 Nosler AB's mostly, just like I was reading. Man they shoot good!
Also found Hornaday's 162 SST will hit in almost the same spot (+ or - 2".)

Why is your barrel copper fowling? Factory barrel or custom?
Maybe hot lap it to see if that will help. You can but polishing compound on a couple bullets or buy Tubb's hot lap. If that doesn't work, you might have a tomato stake.

Side note.
Good to hear you've got a shooter. Good barrel = no copper. IMO.

No copper from my 7 saum either. posted a pix of it in "Browning A Bolt. Rifles, Bullets, Barrels..."
Old 04-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bycamper View Post
Maybe hot lap it to see if that will help.
What is hot lapping?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
What is hot lapping?
Well, lets see...

If hand lapping is using your cleaning rod and a polishing patch to smooth out a rough barrel, hot lapping is coating a bullet, firing, cleaning and repeat for a few rounds. For a better explanation see Mr Tubbs website where he sells a hot lapping kit.

A good quality custom barrel almost never needs to be hot lapped. Many are hand lapped at the factory.
I have used hot lapping as a last ditch effort to fix a bad situation. If it didn't work then I would own another tomato stake. MHO Others may have more patience than me. I hate throwing good $$ after bad.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

I've heard the term used in another context. I've never tried Tubbs bullet treatment. Seems to me it would be harsh on the throat.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortmagman View Post
One of the things that the people that first reloaded the Short mags found was that they seemed to move the shoulder of the cases more that most rounds. As a result the shoulder must be moved back a few thousands before they would chamber in the gun that they were fired in. I am sure that with a load that is not full tilt would move the shoulder less and would not need to be moved back, but high pressure loads do move the shoulder.

Because of this I have always full sized my 300 WSM's, 270 WSM, and 7 mm SAUM.

Not to be argumentative because everyone has there preferred method of sizing for there needs.

I don't shoot hot loads any more and if I want more velocity out of a bullet I simply go to a bigger
case and/or longer barrel.

The concept of the 40o +or minus shoulder was for more case capacity and the up side was less
case stretch.

The old case designs like the 300 H&H with a very long 8.5 shoulder angle was notorious for case
stretch (Sometimes up to .030 thousandths after a couple of firings.

I have yet to have to trim any of my short mags. and I only neck size as needed. I rarely move
(Bump) shoulders on any cases.

I do however run little or no head space and like I said, I back off MAX loads.

Full length sizing Every time is very consistent but it is hard on brass and Does effect accuracy to
a small degree. The rules are different when reloading to squeeze every thousandth of accuracy out\of a weapon in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM