Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

SAUM and WSM Shooters reloading Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 02:23 AM
Silver Member

SAUM and WSM Shooters reloading Question

Hello

Really trying to wrap up my 7saum build. Getting close. Still in breaking in, load development, and stock finishing.

My question is this, how many of you guys are full length resizing VS neck sizing? I'm currently necking down 300saum Norma brass. Will chamber after resizing just fine, virgin brass. After firing, the brass is chambering pretty hard, but will chamber. This is after running it through a Redding neck sizer to give the proper neck clearance. If it was my .260, I'd be running it through a body die or FL sizer just from the feel.

For background, this was a custom reamer, it is a match or a tight chambered reamer. I realize the short magnums are operating at higher pressures, wondering if this is part of my issue.

My powder I'm currently working with is H4831SC and running 160 Nolser accubonds.

So whats everyone else doing? Always needing to FL Size? If you are neck sizing, how many loads are you getting before needing to FL or body size, etc. Anyone running a similar chamber? Match, etc? So far I've had a few issues getting this one running

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: SAUM and WSM Shooters reloading Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post
Hello

Really trying to wrap up my 7saum build. Getting close. Still in breaking in, load development, and stock finishing.

My question is this, how many of you guys are full length resizing VS neck sizing? I'm currently necking down 300saum Norma brass. Will chamber after resizing just fine, virgin brass. After firing, the brass is chambering pretty hard, but will chamber. This is after running it through a Redding neck sizer to give the proper neck clearance. If it was my .260, I'd be running it through a body die or FL sizer just from the feel.

For background, this was a custom reamer, it is a match or a tight chambered reamer. I realize the short magnums are operating at higher pressures, wondering if this is part of my issue.

My powder I'm currently working with is H4831SC and running 160 Nolser accubonds.

So whats everyone else doing? Always needing to FL Size? If you are neck sizing, how many loads are you getting before needing to FL or body size, etc. Anyone running a similar chamber? Match, etc? So far I've had a few issues getting this one running

Thanks for any feedback!

Sounds like you all ready have it figured out.

Neck size until it gets tight, then size only enough to fit nice in the chamber. I anneal the necks
or the brass after 3 firings in high pressure loads just to make the bullet grip consistent and increase
brass life. (This also makes bumping the shoulder easer when necessary).

To much sizing only increases head space, so size only what you have to.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Silver Member

I guess I'm more concerned that the brass needs to be FL sized after one firing. I wondering how common this is among the short mag folks. In my 300wm I'm getting around three before having to fl size
Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

My philosophy in handloading is to be consistent. That is why I FL size every go around. I used to neck size my 300 WSM and RUM brass and after about 3 firings it needed body sizing. IME, this process is contrary to the idea of consistency. Every load is different from the previous and next.

Also, a FL die is a better tool for uniformity (reduced runout). I have had good success in using RCBS, Redding and Hornady FL dies to produce consistent cases with about .001-.0015 runout, if I keep the dies clean, lube the cases properly (not too much or little) and use slow steady strokes.

I FL size just enough for the case to fit the chamber and lock the bolt down easily.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Silver Member

One of the things that the people that first reloaded the Short mags found was that they seemed to move the shoulder of the cases more that most rounds. As a result the shoulder must be moved back a few thousands before they would chamber in the gun that they were fired in. I am sure that with a load that is not full tilt would move the shoulder less and would not need to be moved back, but high pressure loads do move the shoulder.

Because of this I have always full sized my 300 WSM's, 270 WSM, and 7 mm SAUM.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Silver Member

Sounds good. Just picked up a Hordany headspace gauge. I'll get some measurements tonight.

Currently have the Redding bushing neck sizer. Need to either pick up a body die or the FL bushing sizer. Plan to set back the 2-3 thousands.

Also picked up some barnes 150's to give a go. Really do like the accubond but shop was out, the barnes 180 is my go to in my 300. Would like to try the LR Accubonds but sounds like they wont be out in time.

Only one hunting trip this year for this rifle, a late aug. caribou trip with a good chance at an interior grizzly, so really need to stick (IMO) to the premiums, especially with the 7mm. Both bullets listed above have done well for me in the past. A long shot in this area for caribou is around 400-500. And any bears would be taken at 200 or less.

Thanks!

Last edited by youngtrout; 04-16-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Gold Member

Havn't full length sized yet with my 7 saum.
But then I'm not going for every last fps.

Didn't get best results with H 4831.
Usually best loads for me are 57 1/2gr Hunter and 65gr Magpro.
These get me into the 2950 accuracy node and give repeatable cold bore hits.
We use this rifle as our 500 yd steel ringer. 12" x 12" steel with a 4" dot.

Enjoy and be safe.