Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Same old question + a couple I haven't seen.-Rifle and caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2003, 01:11 PM

Re: Same old question + a couple I haven\'t seen.-Rifle and caliber?

.....by the way definitly Rem 700 Long Action!

Scope - 3.5 x 10 Leupold M1
Old 01-03-2003, 07:06 PM

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 01-04-2003, 12:59 AM

I agree with Tim Behle about the custom rig. I am building a 338 lapua that I hope to finally have by the end of January.

I also built a 7mm STW and the funny thing is any of the game I want to go after with the lapua, I can also kill with the STW.

I'm working up a load now for 156 VLD's for the STW and will be using the 300 SMK for the lapua. I keep telling myself that the lapua is for the moose and elk and the STW is my deer/antelope/sheep rifle. (Caribou is in the middle [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )
Reality is I could probably use the STW for Elk or Moose also. I don't know if I would use the 156's but I could use the rifle.

I don't claim to be the best shooter, but I do practice and I can shoot....and I wont shoot past where I am totally confident I will hit. It is definitly better to shoot straighter than to rely on the BIG GUN to make up for error.

I also won't shoot a live target past 500 (yet) but it is a lot of fun learning on paper.

My suggestion for your gun.....
I would go with a 7mm STW I don't think the recoil is that bad. Or go with the 7mm Rem Mag if you want less.
I shoot my STW without a break I fugure its about 25lbs of recoil.
My reasoning is that you can hunt deer or elk possibly moose inside of 500 yards.
If your inside of 500 you could probably work up a good load with the Barnes XLC's. I used the 140's last year as a deer and they shot just under MOA. Barnes has made a lot of progress with the XLC's - accuracy is much better and they are great killing bullets. The 160 would probably be better for elk. Barnes only makes 160 and 140 XLC's for the 7mm.

If you want less recoil and don't plan on shooting Moose at 500 yards. Barnes also makes the 168 Match Grade hunting Bullet in 30 Caliber. I read in another post by Dave King that the 168 shot as good as the Match King. If you build a .308 that would shoot that bullet well you would have everything you wanted. The 30 Cal 168 is the only Match Grade hunting bullets that barnes makes.
Recoil would only be about 17lbs and accuracy would be fantastic

The thread is where Dave King talks about the .308 and the Barnes XLC is...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/cgi-...c&f=3&t=000487

If link doesn't come up search in Bullets Barrels & Ballistics
Topic: 168 Gr. Barnes XLC Bullet test

Good Luck in your decision.