Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sako rifle conversion 7mm rem mag to ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

Sako rifle conversion 7mm rem mag to ???

I have an older hunting rifle that I would like to re-barrel into a larger magnum cartridge for long range shooting. It is a Sako AV in 7mm Rem Mag. I have nothing against this cartridge, however my current rifle has taken its place with similar or better ballistics. The new gun is a custom 270 WSM that is shooting a 140grn accubond at about 3300fps. I was thinking of going with a 7mm RUM for the Sako, but don't know if the action length will handle the cartridge. I also don't know what size case will work with the current bolt face. From my readings on here, I think the 7mm to the 338 RUM look to be a good option, however I want to keep costs down, by just being able to re-barrel the gun. Any suggestions on calibers would be appreciated. Also suggestions on twist rates and barrel length would be helpful. I plan on shooting bullets in the higher end of the weight spectrum like 168-180 in 7mm, 200-210 30 cal, and 250-300 in the 338 cal.

As for gunsmiths, I realized that I am within 30 miles of "Kirby", but do not know if he works on guns in other calibers than the allen mags, which I don't think will fit into this action.

Thanks for the help!

aroshtr
Old 11-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Bronze Member

having Kirby in our backyard is awesome!!! (i live in great falls, 30 miles from Kirby) initially, i had him place a brake on a rifle i had. this led to a rebarreling of a remington to .308. my next project he is working on is a savage to be rebarreled to a 338 edge. i know of another guy in town that had Kirby rebarrel an action, i think it was a mauser to 6.5 x 284. he does great work and answers all questions.just email him and ask.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:02 AM
Silver Member

I have a new stainless 26" Sako barrel chambered in 300 remington ultra that was taken off a rifle after less then 40 rounds. this barrel is perfect. I was going to build a custom off it but couldnt find a sako action. it would screw right into your action just have a gunsmith check headspace. looking to get rid of it cheap!

I am the way I am because I watched the movies "Red Dawn" and "Tremors" at a impressionable age.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:35 AM
Gold Member

With a 26" barrel I've seen the 7mm Rem mag toss 160's at 3100 fps, and 175's at a bit over 2900 fps - which seemed to have plenty of long-range punch. Especially with those sleek 175 grain Sierra SPBT bullets. Berger VLD's in 180 hang onto even more of that velocity and can be accurate as all get out.

A very, very easy conversion is to run a 7mm STW reamer into your existing 7mm Rem mag chamber... Considerably more powder capacity results. I have little experience with the STW though. Others here have written about their rifles. I'd think a fellow would want a good longish barrel for it.

Good luck on your project, those SAKO rifles can be very nice! Talked with a fellow yesterday while we were looking at a great custom 7mm Weatherby on a Sako action. Beautiful rifle!

Regards, Guy
Old 11-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Silver Member

JPRITT, If I end up deciding on a 300 RUM, I may be interested. It sounds like a factory barrel, and I was planing on a top end barrel just for the added accuracy. Is it a light, medium, heavy, or varmit countour? Would the factory twist rate handle the 200-210grn long target bullets? I will surely keep it as an inexpensive option.

Guy, I like the idea of the 7mm STW because a friend of mine just had one built, and buying new dies would not be needed. I don't think I would want to just run a new reamer in my current barrel, as it is only a 24" barrel, and has at least 500 rounds out of it. Also it is factory, and I have to work hard to get 1 moa (bench/sand bags) out of it.

If the STW would fit in the action, then I would think the RUM would fit as well. Is there much difference between the 7mm STW and the 7mm RUM?

I like the idea of having a 338 rum or edge (if they fit into the action), but the recoil is going to be pretty high. I do not want a muzzle brake, and want a final gun weight of about 12lbs to help a little with recoil.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Gold Member

If I lived 30 miles from Kirby Id already dropped it off! said "surpise me", wrote the check, walked away and waited.

Last edited by NYLES; 11-02-2007 at 08:17 AM. Reason: lleps t'nac
Old 11-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

the sako barrel is probably the same weight as yours,i would call it a medium sporter. it is a 1-10 twist which will handle 200 grainers fine. i shoot a 27 in lilja 300 rum with 200 accubonds into about 5/8in all day. I'm sure the 210 vlds would fly good too with that barrel. they come with a factory less than 1 moa garrentee. I piad 75 bucks for it, its yours for the same if you like.

I am the way I am because I watched the movies "Red Dawn" and "Tremors" at a impressionable age.