Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

Sako A7 vs Win M70 extreme

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 180
Sako A7 vs Win M70 extreme

Sako A7 going on sale for $659 blued at Cabelas.
Sportsmans Warehouse has the Winchester M70 extreme sporter which has a black fluted barrel (doesnt looked blued, Im thinking its the stainless model with a black coating)

I want a 270 wsm and have narrowed it down to these two..actually the tikka is still in it also

I really like how the m70 looks and feels. The bolt seems beefier but is nowhere near as smooth as the Sako. Its also controoled round feed (doesnt really matter to me though)
The Sako feels great and has super smooth action
the m70 just feels more durable to me but the Sako does not feel weak at all.
I like them both alot and they are both priced the same.
Im having a real hard time deciding
$659
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 939
Re: Sako A7 vs Win M70 extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay View Post
Sako A7 going on sale for $659 blued at Cabelas.
Sportsmans Warehouse has the Winchester M70 extreme sporter which has a black fluted barrel (doesnt looked blued, Im thinking its the stainless model with a black coating)

I want a 270 wsm and have narrowed it down to these two..actually the tikka is still in it also

I really like how the m70 looks and feels. The bolt seems beefier but is nowhere near as smooth as the Sako. Its also controoled round feed (doesnt really matter to me though)
The Sako feels great and has super smooth action
the m70 just feels more durable to me but the Sako does not feel weak at all.
I like them both alot and they are both priced the same.
Im having a real hard time deciding
$659
I can answer the Winchester question for you, as I currently have a similar model in the Extreme Weather in 300 WSM. The next step for me would be to look beyond factory production at the foundation for a future build. With the Winchester you already have a solid stock with the aluminum blocked B&C, and the solid CRF M70 action. The Winchester smooths out real nice with a little lithium grease and use. For accuracy, I have had no trouble working several handloads to 3/4 MOA or much better.

At that price, I think that particular Winchester is the better choice over the A7.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 180
Re: Sako A7 vs Win M70 extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
I can answer the Winchester question for you, as I currently have a similar model in the Extreme Weather in 300 WSM. The next step for me would be to look beyond factory production at the foundation for a future build. With the Winchester you already have a solid stock with the aluminum blocked B&C, and the solid CRF M70 action. The Winchester smooths out real nice with a little lithium grease and use. For accuracy, I have had no trouble working several handloads to 3/4 MOA or much better.

At that price, I think that particular Winchester is the better choice over the A7.
Ya I forgot to add the M70 has the B&C stock
Sportsmans also has a Weaver Super Slam 3-15x42 on sale for $375..I might just go get the m70 and that scope
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mt. Eden Kentucky
Posts: 54
Re: Sako A7 vs Win M70 extreme

I dont think you can go wrong with the M-70. Plus as far as I know there American made in South Carolina. Scope sounds like a good deal to. You will Love the 270wsm. Awsome round!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 939
Re: Sako A7 vs Win M70 extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyScott View Post
I dont think you can go wrong with the M-70. Plus as far as I know there American made in South Carolina. Scope sounds like a good deal to. You will Love the 270wsm. Awsome round!
You are correct. They are built in SC. Another plus with the M70 is the longer short action for the WSM. You can seat long bullets out to the lands and maintain the use of your magazine. This was a nice bonus for me since I had been constricted to a COAL of 2.86" by a Browning Abolt in 300 WSM, now I can easily load to just above 3.00".
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 180
Re: Sako A7 vs Win M70 extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
You are correct. They are built in SC. Another plus with the M70 is the longer short action for the WSM. You can seat long bullets out to the lands and maintain the use of your magazine. This was a nice bonus for me since I had been constricted to a COAL of 2.86" by a Browning Abolt in 300 WSM, now I can easily load to just above 3.00".
I didnt know that but thats nice to know because I just bought the M70 and I do reload.
I was wrong on the scope price though it was the weaver super slam 2.5-10x42 that is on sale for 389, the 3.5-15x42 is on sale too but for $489
Anyways thanks for the replies!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 939
Re: Sako A7 vs Win M70 extreme

Did you get a scope too?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Sako A7 vs Win M70 extreme
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Win 70 Extreme Sporter krshunter Guns For Sale 15 12-28-2011 07:12 AM
Extreme Spread Austy Reloading 7 10-25-2010 10:31 PM
Extreme velocities? Bobby M Reloading 13 09-26-2010 12:16 PM
Extreme Spread? Firecat Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 14 09-22-2010 11:53 AM
Extreme spread Reloading 6 04-24-2007 07:12 AM

Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 32.03%
74 Votes
NO - 51.08%
118 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 16.88%
39 Votes
Total Votes: 231
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC