Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Is it safe? Is it nuts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 01:00 PM

Is it safe? Is it nuts?

I've just suffered a serious leg injury, and will be withering away in bed for about three months.

I'd love to be able to keep up some trigger practice and thought it might be nice to shoot
an air rifle in my bedroom.

But who in their right mind wants lead contamination in their bedroom?!

Does anyone KNOW if air rifles emit much lead from the muzzle?
Do the projectiles emit lead upon impact with fairly soft targets?

I don't yet know what I'd use as a target, but trapping the pellets and fragments
seems like an important consideration in this case.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is it safe? Is it nuts?

I'm sorry to hear about your leg! I wish you a quick recovery. As far as the air gun is concerned, I would use a low power rifle. There will not be enough lead spatter to amount to anything. You are going to have to shoot 1000 to 5000 rnds a day to really amount to any poisoning. Another option could be a CO2 pistol and shoot BB's. They are copper. At far as a target, I would find a box, or someone find you a box and fill it with magazines or newspapers. No pass through guarantee as long as it is filled tight.

Another option is using a revolver. They use to make, and not sure if they still do, but it is a plastic casing with a plastic wad cutter. You just use a primer as a means of propulsion. The primer is enough push to shoot the plastic bullet 20yrds.

Speer Plastic Cases 38 Caliber Box of 50 - MidwayUSA

Speer Plastic Bullets 38 Caliber (357 to 358 Diameter) Box of 50 - MidwayUSA

They also have 44mags. Just and idea.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

If I rember right crossman makes 177 pellets that are plastic also.Gammo makes a pellet that is called pba and are gold in color I don`t think there is much lead in them either.
robster
Old 02-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

They are made from an alloy. They are also gold plated.

Gamo PBA Raptor Pellets .177 Cal- Increases Velocity 25%! Read the info on this link.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Gold Member

Hey sorry to hear about your leg, hope you have a laptop. LOL

What about a BB gun?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:31 PM

That Gamo stuff looks pretty good.
And this may just provide the excuse I needed for an air gun buy.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

When my kids were young I built a very effective trap with an angle back that would deflect pellets down into a layer of sand. I had a wire stretched along the top and hung a cloth from it and then a target in front of the cloth. Surprisingly enough, the loose hanging cloth would enfold the BB or pellet and not allow it to penetrate and then the BB would drop straight down into the sand. The elaborate backboard was unnecessary. We did not ever use max power because we only had 15 feet distance to shoot.

A storage bin turned on it side with a couple of towels over the opening and a pillow inside should work as long as you keep the power down.

Safety glasses are important because BB will bounce around like crazy if you hit a hard surface.