Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sa 338 rum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Sa 338 rum

I have a buddy looking at a 40X Short action 338 RUM from the Remington custom shop. Don't know anything about these. Any feedback appreciated. Curious about the 338 RUM on a SA and info on what is a 40X
Old 08-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sa 338 rum

Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know the 40X action is a solid bottom version of the 700 available only from the Custom Shop. A short action 338 RUM would work okay but loaded rounds would not be able to be ejected without removing the bolt. Empties might eject okay. If it were me I would spend the same money having a good gunsmith build a 338 RUM on a custom or blueprinted long action and probably have a better rifle. Just my two cents.

NRA Life Member
Old 08-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

The 40x should work just fine with the 338rum. I am currently shooting a 338 Lapua Mag on a Savage target action that is a SA. I do have to pull the bolt to eject a loaded round but it is tolerable and it ejects an empty just like it was made for it. This action is holding up great and shoots good when I do my part. I might do an improved version next time to get a little more velocity out of the 300's. Other than that it's all good.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Sambo,
I agree with the assessment that the bolt would need to be pulled to eject a loaded round. Not sure why he is looking to buy one of these. I do not see any advantage to do a 338 RUM on a short action. Maybe someone could enlighten me.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
Sambo,
I agree with the assessment that the bolt would need to be pulled to eject a loaded round. Not sure why he is looking to buy one of these. I do not see any advantage to do a 338 RUM on a short action. Maybe someone could enlighten me.
Yes, enlighten me too. Why put up with the bolt removal to extract a loaded round??? is there some benefit that outwieghs this inconvienece...well atleast to me.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo3006 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know the 40X action is a solid bottom version of the 700 available only from the Custom Shop. A short action 338 RUM would work okay but loaded rounds would not be able to be ejected without removing the bolt. Empties might eject okay. If it were me I would spend the same money having a good gunsmith build a 338 RUM on a custom or blueprinted long action and probably have a better rifle. Just my two cents.
+1....get a regular LA Remington 700 and spend the extra cash on a good gunsmith to blueprint it and rebarrel with a custom barrel.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:49 AM
Platinum Member

It's minimal, but using a SA cuts the weight of a rifle down. Some even say the SA is a better way to go because it is a stiffer action. Your throw time on a SA is also quicker assuming you have a mag set up to handle that ammo. Still single feeding is going to be quicker because of quicker ejection due to the short throw. Can a LA keep up? Does the shorter action out perform the LA? It is a matter of personal preference. As far as having to pull the bolt for a loaded round, in my opinion its a minor inconvenience. You put it in, in the beginning of the hunt, and use your safety. At the end of the day, pull it out or just shoot something and then unloading a loaded round is unnecessary.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!