Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

running out of elevation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 08:07 AM
Gold Member

running out of elevation.

I was at the range and I usually use hold over to get to 400 but I decided to dial for range and ran out of elevation. I got it to 400 but it was raised all the way to stop. TC venture, Bushnell scope. My question is do they make a 20moa ring set or do I need a rail ? Has any one replaced the bases on a Venture with a rail ?

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Old 07-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

Re: running out of elevation.

Burris signature rings and offset insert kit will do what you need.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

It NEVER hurts to upgrade to a good qaulity rail (EGW, Farrell, NF, etc...), and a good set of rings (Seekins, TPS TSR, NF, Leupy MK4, etc...).

I've about got all mine swapped over to rail systems, so I can remove and interchange scopes without having to re-cant them all to make sure they're level, because once they're locked into those rings, they ain't moving left or right, as long as you got them properly torqued in there.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

+1 to what mudrunner said.

A quality base is so often overlooked as a critical componet of a set up. Never hurts to bed the base as well.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:31 PM
Gold Member

IMO, either the Burris Z rings with inserts or the +MOA rail will work. It'd be less expensive to go the +MOA rail and you can always add the Z rings with inserts if you need to fine tune it a little more.
Be sure to bed that rail ...

American rifleman's triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Gold Member

Thanks guys, I looked into the Burris setup and it would be cheaper to go with a rail I just hope I can get one to fit my action contour I can custom fit it if the screw holes line up if not it might be easier to use the Burris rings...

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Old 07-24-2014, 09:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohring3006 View Post
I was at the range and I usually use hold over to get to 400 but I decided to dial for range and ran out of elevation. I got it to 400 but it was raised all the way to stop. TC venture, Bushnell scope. My question is do they make a 20moa ring set or do I need a rail ? Has any one replaced the bases on a Venture with a rail ?
What scope are you running that runs out of adjustment at 400 yards? Even using 308 data and 168 sierras I get less than 5 MOA in correction. If your scope only has 5 MOA in elevation I say get a new scope