Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ruger No 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2004, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ruger No 1

There are always exceptions but day in and day out the bolt actions outshoot the 2 piece stocked drop bolts like the Ruger #1's.
I have yet to see a competitive Ruger #1 rifle being used at a benchrest match or longrange shoot.
My personal experience with #1 heavy barrel rifles was disappointing. All of my bolt guns shoot rings around these rifles. They are great rifles for shooting biggame within reasonable ranges IMO.
Just my 2 cents
VH
Old 01-14-2004, 10:25 PM
Gold Member

I was curious what everyone thought the problems would be with them.

The stock is one piece, right? Not like a Thompson Encore which has a two piece stock that breaks open. You could shoot it off of a the bench without having to break the action open like the Encore. That would certainly make it hard to have a consisent return to battery.

One would think that a Ruger No 1, assuming it had a one piece stock and the barrel was floated, would work out really well.

It is basically a barrel with a drop down firing mechanism and ejector. As long as the firing mechanism was repeatable and held the back of the case square it should shoot.

Just a thought.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Silver Member

The stock is a two piece unit and the lack of consistency has to do with the way the forearm is hung.

Often variations can be eliminated by using different forearm mods, e.g., bedding, flexible shim, Hicks accurizer (forearm pressure tuning device).

Another problem is the lousy trigger. I can lighten 'em up, but I cannot get rid of the creep. There are no inexpensive triggers out there. I have had more problems with the Moyers trigger than I care to describe. Best alternative is the Kepplinger single set trigger. Damn fine unit.

Another problem with some of the #1 models is the quarter rib. It bridges the barrel and receiver and will, on some rifles, heat up and cause a change in the POI due to scope movement. This can be resolved by milling the rib or installing a Moulds Weaver style replacement rib. This rib also allows a more rearward placement of the optical sight.

I have several #1s and most will stay in the 5s & 6s. My 500 Nitro Express #1 (27" NBRSA-HV barrel), will shoot 3 into .7" @ 50 with irons.

I had a #1 in 378 Weatherby with a 30" tube. Very accurate but brutal to shoot as it had no brake. I sold it to a friend who installed a brake and loves the rifle. Not sure what kind of groups he's getting.

The #1 can indeed be accurate but it's much easier to work up a LR bolt gun. More accessories and experienced 'smiths.

I cannot stay away from the damned single shots.... they look so good and carry so nicely. But, they are an eccentric critter....
Old 01-15-2004, 12:48 AM
Gold Member

Ruger No 1

So what about the Ruger No 1 action. Is this action suitable for a long range rifle? It would shorten the overall length of a LR gun because there is no long bolt to accomodate in the stock. Could have a 30 inch barrel and the rifle would be the same length as a bolt action with a 24 or 26 inch barrel.

Is the action strong enough to support heavy long barrels?

Is the action rigid enough and are the tolerances tight enough to have repeatable pressure on the back of the case and repeatable firing pin pressure, etc?

Interested in thoughts and opinions ...

Doug
Old 01-15-2004, 10:09 AM

I have a 300 weatherby in Ruger # 1 and it shoots 1/2 min of moa. This rifle shoots as good as my as any of my bolts. I think many of them shoot very good and others do not.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

based on all the reasons mentioned above, it seems either a #1 will shoot decently, or if not, it never will. unfortunately, more often than not, it wont. when my buddy got in to LR, he was hell bent on doing it with a #1 because its his favorite model. after trips to the smith, working with loads, reading all he could about accurizing a 1, etc, he no longer ownes that #1 and traded it in for a 300rum sendero. while he still wishes it would have shot like he wanted, said it ended up being a waste of time and money in the long run.

why take a chance going thru all that, when it might not be worth it. play it safe and go with a bolt.

-brian

[ 01-15-2004: Message edited by: Mountain Man ]
Old 01-15-2004, 03:16 PM

I like em. Here's a 300 Tomahawk with a 30"lilja barrel and a KDF brake that shoots 240 smk around 3010fps.

and a target recently shot at 415yds.

I still like 'em even after shooting a target like that. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]