Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ruger Mark II Stainless 243

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 08:39 AM

Ruger Mark II Stainless 243

I purchased a Ruger Mark II stainless steel 243 with synthetic stock. It is for my grandson. I have attempted to develop a reload to get it to shoot sub one inch
(three shot) groups at 100 yards. 2 inch is the best I can get. I have free floated the barrel (it hit the stock in about five places) and tried various powder weights with Nosler 100 grain partition bullets. Used IMR 4895 and IMR 4831. No success.

Using an Astec 2.5 to 10 power scope and sand bagged bench rest.

Am I expecting too much from this short barreled gun? Any suggestions for loads or
other things to try would be appreciated.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Silver Member

Re: Ruger Mark II Stainless 243

I have this same rifle and it took 30 differant load combos to find a good one. I started with an 85 gn speer bt and at 25 yds it was a cal size hole with 10 stots, at 100 yds it was 1 inch, at 200 yds the bullets were tumbling. I found 2 load combos that shot inside 1/2 inch at 100 yds, both were with hot loads of reloader 25, 105 grn hornady and 107 grn smk.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

You can glass seat the action yourself for just $30 for a kit. This helped my ruger m77 mark II in 220 swift. It was shooting just over an 1" before and .5" after.
Also if this is a new rifle, run Tubbs final finish through it this also helps greatly for me in two of my rifles.
Hope this helps
Eric
Old 10-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Bronze Member

I have the exact same gun that I bought new about 10 years ago. It is 100% stock and it shoots 1" groups at 100 yards with Fed Premium.

Is it possible that free floating the barrel made yours worse?

You mention a short barrel...how short?

Maybe I got lucky and got a good one.

Rhino Hunter
Old 10-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino Hunter View Post
I have the exact same gun that I bought new about 10 years ago. It is 100% stock and it shoots 1" groups at 100 yards with Fed Premium.

Is it possible that free floating the barrel made yours worse?

You mention a short barrel...how short?

Maybe I got lucky and got a good one.

Rhino Hunter

Some factory rifles have designed pressure points to aid in accuracy. I can't tell you what companies or model's, but sometimes removing them can cause inaccuracies. One would think by re-bedding the action that accuracy could be recovered if that was the case. My model 7 Rem had a built in pressure point and for the most part shot well. I sanded out that part and free floated the barrel. Then I bedded the stock and adjusted the trigger. It is a tack driver now. I use 37.5grns of IMR 4064 w/ 95grn SST in my 243. Work up to that load because it is over max.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Silver Member

I have a Ruger hawkeye all weather that kind of had the same problem. The rifle would group 3 or 4 shots out of 5 nice and tight (under MOA), but would throw the rest. I also free floated the barrel but this didn't help. There was a video out there somewhere, I think it was by Midway, in short it said tap the bottom of the stock with the palm of your hand, if you hear it smack the barrel, open it up some more. I tried this and kept opening up the barrel channel, especially under the stock till I didn't get that clicking sound. Once done right the rifle stopped throwing those few rounds. Try opening it up some more.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
I have a Ruger hawkeye all weather that kind of had the same problem. The rifle would group 3 or 4 shots out of 5 nice and tight (under MOA), but would throw the rest. I also free floated the barrel but this didn't help. There was a video out there somewhere, I think it was by Midway, in short it said tap the bottom of the stock with the palm of your hand, if you hear it smack the barrel, open it up some more. I tried this and kept opening up the barrel channel, especially under the stock till I didn't get that clicking sound. Once done right the rifle stopped throwing those few rounds. Try opening it up some more.
Interesting...

Do you remember what part of the stock you had to tap, and from what direction?

TX.

RH