Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ruger M77, 7mm Ultra mag vs. Rem. 700, .308 value vs. quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 06:05 PM

Ruger M77, 7mm Ultra mag vs. Rem. 700, .308 value vs. quality

Newbie here... time & xtra money being in short supply lately, i've decided to sell my new/unfired (door prize raffle) Ruger M77,Mark II in 7mm Rem ultra mag, has a nice deluxe walnut checkered stock,rubber buttpad & new unopened pack of Ruger scope mnts too.
Basically this caliber is pricey to just target shoot & way overpowered for the upstate NY whitetails i hunt, so it's been sitting in case for 8 months.
Here's my dilemma... i was asking $695. which i feel is a reasonably fair amount for this longarm, but now a fella offered to trade his new Remington model 700 SPS-DM in .308 cal which is also new/unfired condition. I'm unable to find comparable values for his gun but have read they sell used for $400 - $500 at online auction sites.
Here's my questions to you proverbial vetrans of the 'long range' -
1. Would this be a fair trade, value-wise ?
2. Is .308 cal a bit much for whitetail hunting ?
3. Am i crazy for considering ????
Thanks for u'r unadulterated comments....fire away !!

-Wacked & Jobless in the northernwoods-
Old 11-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ruger M77, 7mm Ultra mag vs. Rem. 700, .308 value vs. quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackJob View Post
Newbie here... time & xtra money being in short supply lately, i've decided to sell my new/unfired (door prize raffle) Ruger M77,Mark II in 7mm Rem ultra mag, has a nice deluxe walnut checkered stock,rubber buttpad & new unopened pack of Ruger scope mnts too.
Basically this caliber is pricey to just target shoot & way overpowered for the upstate NY whitetails i hunt, so it's been sitting in case for 8 months.
Here's my dilemma... i was asking $695. which i feel is a reasonably fair amount for this longarm, but now a fella offered to trade his new Remington model 700 SPS-DM in .308 cal which is also new/unfired condition. I'm unable to find comparable values for his gun but have read they sell used for $400 - $500 at online auction sites.
Here's my questions to you proverbial vetrans of the 'long range' -
1. Would this be a fair trade, value-wise ?
2. Is .308 cal a bit much for whitetail hunting ?
3. Am i crazy for considering ????
Thanks for u'r unadulterated comments....fire away !!

-Wacked & Jobless in the northernwoods-
The Ruger is a nice rifle but traditional will not shoot with the 700.

The ultra mag can be loaded down or if you buy factory ammo you can get the different levels
of power (Level 1,2 and 3 plus managed recoil ammo that will bring it down to 30/06 energy.

The Ruger is worth more but I would have to try it with some level 1 ammo to see how it
shoots. If you don't like it then he should still have no problem swapping with you because
he would still get the best of the trade.

The 308 is more than enough to hunt white tails but the 7mm is not to much if loaded down.

The main reason I would lean towards the 7mm Ultra if it will shoot(Some Rugers will and some
won't) it is an all round rifle that will take anything in north America if loaded with the right
ammo.

The fact that you have nothing invested in it makes it simple .

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 11-13-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:37 PM

J E - thanks for the reload info on 7mm , only problem if i decide to keep & shoot is finding a 'reliable' re-loader person to accomodate my reduced load sizing.
I stopped hunting with my Remington 30-06 180 gr. due to so much collateral tissue damage inflicted on my prey ... i figured the .308 in standard load would be a better choice. Does my asking price of $695 for the new/unfired M77 sound reasonable ? I know my Ruger 7mm is a much more handsome weapon than the pics i've viewed of the bland looking mod 700.
Time to make a decision i guess...
thanks again !
Old 11-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Gold Member

I agree with JE, shoot it with some factory loads and see how you like it. If it doesnt shoot great trade it off for something else. I agree your rifle is worth quite a bit more than the 700 but do whatever you want. Either way you end up with a new rifle for free

Good Luck
Old 11-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackJob View Post
I stopped hunting with my Remington 30-06 180 gr. due to so much collateral tissue damage inflicted on my prey ...
IMHO that is more a result of bullet choice rather than caliber, I shoot a rather hot 165 gr Accubond from my '06 with completely satisfactory results.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:11 AM

OK, on respecting u'r humble opinion but.....do u do u'r own butchering ?
After 40+yrs of handling our own kills & comparing the meat loss due to 'overkill' from an '06' canon vs. efficiency of my mini-30 in regards to minimal adjacent tissue loss. The evidence is clear, regardless of bullet grain wght, tip configuration,etc. the 30-06 is simply devastating when whitetails are hit in the vital chest area . My 7.62x39 does the job with minimal mess !!
The proof is in the freezer......
Old 11-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

The power level ammo that JE mentioned is actually factory loaded ammunition, so you wouldn't have to find a 'reliable reloader person.' But what surprises me is that you think a 30-06 is overkill. In all my experience of both killing and butchering my own animals (it's not the amount of time you stated you have, but it has been extensive) I have never found the 30-06 to be as devastating as you say it is. If it's truly a problem, then switch to some controlled expansion bullets such as the Nosler Accubond, Hornady Interbond, Barnes Triple Shock, or Hornady GMX. I think you'll get the results you want with the Barnes Triple Shock--very minimal surrounding meat damage in my experiences. I'm also still confused as to how you have a 7mm Ultra Mag in a Ruger rifle...is it a custom barrel on a Ruger action? In all my years of gun browsing, and employment within the industry, I have never seen a Ruger factory rifle chambered in the Ultra Magnum calibers. If you can post pics here or in the Classified section where you have the rifle for sale, it would clear up a lot of confusion. The .308 is so close to 30-06 ballistics that you'll see no difference in performance between the two. I'm assuming that you also have a 30-06 based on your experiences with it? So if you already have the 30-06, the .308 is absolutely unnecessary. Now, if your Ruger rifle is just a 7mm Rem Mag, then $695 is a very high price to be asking. They sell regularly for the same price as the .308 you're looking at. You also state the the Ruger has a free floated barrel, and I've never known a Ruger to have a factory free floated barrel either. You may have a semi-custom gun that is worth more than the .308, but some of the information you have posted so far is contradictory to everything I've ever seen in the world of Ruger factory rifles.