Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ruger accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ruger accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemens View Post
Amazing how one brand over another creates such chaos I think it is a personal choice. Nothing wring with savage, Rem, etc.. reminds me of the debates over who makes better car or pick up truck. I loved the Ruger's I had years ago. I enjoy my Mod70 even though it has trigger issues. And my savage .22-250 and my sav-10 in .308. Even though it to could be dine different. Enjoy what you have. Enjoy life
Agreed. When someone asks advice on what action for people to recommend, of course I'm gonna say 700 first. I've had many, and never had any issues with ANY of them. Some folks claim to have alot of issues, but to me, any action and any barrel can be made to shoot. Your smith's abilities has about 90% to do with a rifle's accuracy, compared to the brand name on the components being put together. Just a little something my smith told me once when we were discussing brands of barrel blanks and which one he thought was better than the other. I thought about it, and there's no denying that that's a true statement. He wasn't bragging, he was just making a general statement. However, my smith is REALLY good, so I have zero complaints, and wouldn't care if he was bragging, he has every right to.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Hey TNWhip...

While I am a HUGE 700 fan, and life-long 700 advocate, them words will start a war in a thread talking about which action is better than the other. Trust me, I know from experience. I told a guy to go buy a 700 and scrap his Savage, and the SHTF...
I never did say which action was better. I was just saying that me having an ole 1976 220 Swift Ruger that will still shoot Groups like this. . My new Rem. 700 sps varmint 22-250 has it's work cut out for it. Would you not agree?Some people say a Ruger is not accurate but I have two that are. Heck I hope the Rem. 22-250 will out shoot the Ruger.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Every gun I own is accurate, Ruger, Remington, Marlin, etc...Except one, and I'm pretty sure it's just been shot hot so much that it will no longer group (picked it up used)...And it's a Remington 700 .338 WinMag. Never been a fan of the huge bores, as we have no need for them down here, except for hog hunting.

My 2 old Rugers are surgical accurate, so are my Remington 700's. I was just stating that for some reason whenever you mention that you wished you had a 700, or something to do with your good experiences with a 700, someone always has to input that they hate them for blah blah blah reasons...I'm not saying anything is better than anything else, and I know you weren't either. I was just giving you a heads-up for the 700 haters out there.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 08-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnwhip View Post
Yes it is true that Rugers are not the perfect action. They have their kinks. Several times I was cusing, wishing I had a 700. I don't have alot of money so I had a wore out 25-06 that was a good shooter years ago. It was either sell it for a couple of hundred dollars and put that into something else or just get a new barrel and have my buddy install and chamber it in my Ruger action. I did want a 280 Ackley. I knew the drawbacks of the Rugers but it was my cheapest way to go. It shot great before. I knew I could get it to shoot just as good hopefully better with a custom barrel.. I had thought about doing away with the stock angle lug and bolt but then after thinking about the milling and how I was going to have to modfy floor plate to work after that and said that is too much trouble. I just didn't think it was worth it. I knew I could bed it and get it to work. I would like to see how they modified the floor plate, Just make another hinge? That is how I was going to do it.
By the way, Years ago when I bedded the 220 Swift I did learn how to break the trigger guard LOL It has had a steel one on it ever sence .
Like someone said." Only accurate guns are interesting". I myself don't care what brand it is. I will be working on my 700 SPS Varmint in 22-250 and see if it will out shoot my Old 220 Swift Ruger. It has its work cut out for it. Only time will tell.
Just got back from the range from break-in work on my 3 new rifles built on 2 Howa's (S&W and Vanguard) and a Rem 700. No, I'm not rich, I've been buying parts and paying toward these projects for about 3 years now.

You could have sold your old Ruger for a couple hundred and bought an old Vanguard foe a couple hundred and you would have had a better action to work on as far as blueprinting and fitting with custom stock and barrel. In the end your costs would have been less (if you did the whole blueprint thing) by doing the swap. By the time you add up the labor and parts, the Ruger is going to cost a good bit more than the Howa or M70.

It's possible to get a good shooter without a blueprinted action by just sticking on a good barrel. Both my Snederos were great shooters on a stock 700 action. I've got a Vanguard 223 thats' a grea shooter out of the box in the factory plastic stock. But truing up the action and bedding them properly in a good stock just increases the odd of getting a really good reliable precision rifle. And it just feels good

Good luck with the 22-250

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Mark, I don't know what it is about them, but my Sendero & 5R rifles are just tack-drivers from the factory... I guess Remington spends a little more time on them and massaages and picks their truest and straightest parts for them, since they are in their top-tier of their line-up. That's my theory on them...

Quote:
Old 08-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Mark, I don't know what it is about them, but my Sendero & 5R rifles are just tack-drivers from the factory... I guess Remington spends a little more time on them and massaages and picks their truest and straightest parts for them, since they are in their top-tier of their line-up. That's my theory on them...
Could very well be true. I think the heavy barrel contour and the full aluminum bedded HS Precision stock has a lot to do with it.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

That's also a very good point.

Quote: