Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ruger accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ruger accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Mark,

I fully understand, esp. the sentimental value.

My M77 MKII was purchased used at Scheel's in GF for $399 with 1" Ruger scope ring and the custom muzzle brake already installed. When I saw it considering the cost of a muzzle brake and installation, I was unable to let it go. A co-worker was selling me same model and chamber except it's wood stock and without muzzle brake for $450. IMHO, what I got was in better shape and better buy.

I replaced the trigger (set at 2.5 lbs) and stock (came with pillars) ... have not done any bedding (but plan to later on when I finally get some time ) and left everything else as-is. I am getting sub-MOA up 300 yards with .225gr NAB, 73.5gr H4831SC, CCI250 and shot a coyote at 338 yards.

Thanks!

Ed
Ed, Nothing like a 338 WM to turn out the lights on a Yote I head shot one with a 300 RUM once

I bought my M77's (7 RM and 270 Win) at Big Bear on 10th Ave South when it was still there back in 88. I didn't know squat about rifles back then but my 7 RM served me vey well. Back then a Sub MOA rifle was pretty cool. With factory ammo I was getting about 1 - 1.5 MOA and with handloads, about 3/4 MOA so I was a happy camper shooting a flat cartridge with accuracy potential to 500 yds. It wore a 2.5-10 B&L Balvar scope. My farthest shot was a buck speed goat in the Sand Springs country taken at 425 stepped off yards that I guesstimated to be 450. No laser range finders back then. So yeah, a little more history with my M77 I have a number of heads and horns looking down at me from the wall, ALL taken with that rifle.

Thanks for the pics, i love pics

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-01-2013, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

OK fellas, it's late and I'm not going to answer each one of ya. A few good informative posts regarding bedding, pillars etc. Bottomline here... angled action screws do not sit well with me. Maybe I'm a little over sensitive, but that is just not my cup of tea.

I think this has been a very informative thread for the OP and he should be able to make a good decision.... maybe

I know what I would do if I was him

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-01-2013, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
B&C 5231 (IIRC) black from Stocky's.

Ed
Been thinking about putting a Vais radial brake on the 7Mag, and maybe a different stock.

But magbe get that stock in a black w/ gray web, if they offer it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Gold Member

hope nobody tells my alaska and africa friends that angled lugs, no pillars and screws are gonna be a problem in those 20 plus year old ruger .458's !
Old 08-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
hope nobody tells my alaska and africa friends that angled lugs, no pillars and screws are gonna be a problem in those 20 plus year old ruger .458's !
This is the Long Range Hunting site where we build precison rifles to shoot sub 1/2 MOA - not the Alaskan Bush Hunting site were they hunt with rifles that shoot minute of Moose.... and BTW, I am a member of the Alaskan Outdoors Forums and know how they love their Rugers. That said, I've read more than one thread on that site regarding problems with said angled front action screw.

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
This is the Long Range Hunting site where we build precison rifles to shoot sub 1/2 MOA - not the Alaskan Bush Hunting site were they hunt with rifles that shoot minute of Moose.... and BTW, I am a member of the Alaskan Outdoors Forums and know how they love their Rugers. That said, I've read more than one thread on that site regarding problems with said angled front action screw.
wow, you sure told me !
guess I better rethink the .243AI/220 swift/338-06 I built on ruger actions back when that's all I had to work with. They only shoot 1/2 MOA to 700 yds., just like the 700 Rem.'s I use now for the others I build. I've not had a problem with the angled "lug" as you call it, I just know how to deal with it.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
What problem were they having?
The angled screw pulls down and back. How is that bad? The recoil lug is short and thick. Maybe it could be a little longer but but it doesn't flex. I have epoxied a piece of steel where the recoil lug makes contact on my 280 ack. laminated stock for more suport and strength. I was thinking it would strengthen that part of the stock giving the lug more surface contact to push against. Steel on steel. instead of steel on epoxie and wood. I used JB weld for bedding compound. I did this after installing the pillers. Did it help anything? Didn't hurt.