Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

rounds to take hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: rounds to take hunting

I would like to be able to say i only need and bring one, buuut i cant unfortunately. I usually have 3-5 in the gun and the other 15-17 in the pack.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 06-18-2013, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member

I usually bring 40-60 on a travel hunt. When hunting, ten rounds total in the gun and my pocket, a box of 20 in my pack. On several trips I have filled my tag/s early and had occasion to pick up cull tags, coyote hunt, or just shoot rocks at ridculous distances......to kill an additional day or more.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

when I get a gun together and it's to my liking enough that I am gonna use it on a hunt I get at least 100 pieces of brass for it. if I am going anywere that is not right by home I take it all. stuff happens and I don't do well having to go without.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Bronze Member

I appreciate the info. I have been somewhat ammo starved over the past 30 years while hunting. Not that I didn't have "something", just that I have always used Nosler Partitions and never had a really good supply due to cost. So, a few Partitons and the backup was something used for practice.

Now I have found Shooters Pro Shop and been able to stock up on a couple hundred of each caliber and weight (224/60, 243/100, 25/120, 270/150 and 308/180. I've dedicated R-P cases to nothing but the Nosler Partitions. Luckily I've been able to acquire from 500-1,500 of brass for each caliber. That allows me to load more. So, now the question came up, how many loaded rounds do I want on hand? I have had really good luck with 20 year old reloads so that wasn't a problem.

However, on one trip I had a water problem in the Jeep and all of the ammo ended up under water. It worked for the hunt but a week later they wouldn't fire. So, lost all of it. So, the decision of "take them along and risk a problem" or "not take them and run out for some obscure reason".

I will be developing the load around the Partitions and R-P cases as I can buy the Partitions at the same price as standard bullets. No reason to develop with anything else now. That makes a real good situation. The question comes down to, "How many to load and take along."

I think I will get the load developed, then load 100 to take along. That way I will know that I have enough. Of course there is the back up rifle (30-06/180 primary for elk and 270/150 for backup). Now we are up to 200 rounds. Hope I don't think I need a backup of the backup. That would fall to the 26-06. And another 100 rounds.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

These are all good responses, real and interesting to read.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

I usually take 5 plus one extra because I ran out one day and still had one more possible shot.

I do wipe the tips clean though since I don't want them to die of lead poison.

joseph
Old 06-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
Been in a couple of classes where I heard that more than once.
Good advice, I got to learn the hard way.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.