Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Round 2 with Factory 338 Rum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Gold Member

Round 2 with Factory 338 Rum

Took the 338 rum back up to Loosesnipers range today and results was the same as i posted last monday. We start off with a milk jug at 1060, gong at 1100, and another jug at 1140. Its a slight up hill only where tagets are so spotting your shot can be very clear for adjustments. We run the numbers again on exbal with the 2760 vel. 300 smk 84 degree 28.31 press.@ sea level and worked perfect again. With the heat and a factory barrel i would only take 3 shots st a time. I failed to hit anything but my misses was so dang close they would of been deer kills. The main factor for test was i had elevation everytime but wind was very tough. Each yardage i would hit close enough to kick dirt on the
jug. I know feel after twice out with this rifle i know the vel. is 2760. Now i just have to bear down on the windage game.
Mike
Old 08-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Round 2 with Factory 338 Rum

I know how you feel Mike. I read once were Shawn Carlock said that the wind seperates a good shooter from an exceptional shooter , now I truly know what he means. I'm not giving up until I get the wind game down.
Good luck and keep up the good shooting .
Thats one fine job to do it all with a factory rifle!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Gold Member

Thanks, i dont consider myself a good shooter but know a little bit more than my neighbors. I have the pleasure of having loosesniper as a friend where lots of times its a sat. night thing. He has a farm and an experienced lr shooter where we mainly with the terrain have to start at 1060 and went as far 1900. I didnt bring them out today but i have a pair of kowa highlanders maes it sweet to spot can see the bullet flying most of the time. From what i have learned its a great feeling to see that jug full of water splatter but how close your misses are will keep you in the hunting game. think about it a clorax bottle is pretty well a head shot on most big game animals.
Mike
Old 08-12-2012, 03:14 AM
Platinum Member

No question but that wind is the toughest thing to deal with at long range. Depending on the terrain and conditions it can change three or four times between you and the target at 1,000yds.

Technology will only get you so far, you will have to really learn to read the wind between you and the target.

The best method I know is on flat ground pick three points between you and the target and the target itself and compare what you are seeing as far as wind effect at each of those points to come up with an "average" so to speak.

Master the wind and you own the battlefield or in this case the shooting range.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
No question but that wind is the toughest thing to deal with at long range. Depending on the terrain and conditions it can change three or four times between you and the target at 1,000yds.

Technology will only get you so far, you will have to really learn to read the wind between you and the target.

The best method I know is on flat ground pick three points between you and the target and the target itself and compare what you are seeing as far as wind effect at each of those points to come up with an "average" so to speak.

Master the wind and you own the battlefield or in this case the shooting range.
+1 on what you have said . Just one question .
Lets say the wind is blowing from the 3 o clock position to the 7 o clock position at the GUN.
Then say at the 6oo yard mark it is blowing from 3 to 9 ocloclk .

Lastly at the 1000 yard target it is blowing from 9 o clock to 3 o clock?

What would I dial for the windage ?

Not to high jack your thread mike but maybe you guys can help me see how this is done thanks
Old 08-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Lets say the wind is blowing from the 3 o clock position to the 7 o clock position at the GUN.

Not to high jack your thread mike but maybe you guys can help me see how this is done thanks
Hey guys, I'll throw my 2 cents worth in here. First Mike's 338 Rum is sweet, for a factory action and barrel the gun performs outstanding. He put another stock and brake on it and it's a pleasure to shoot!
To try and answer the above question I'd say this.
The bullet is going to be affected mostly when it's unstable. Shooting the 300's it may take 100 yds or so before the yaw is corrected. Take a spinning top for example. Once you spin it, the top wobbles at first before it's stabilized, this is true with bullets as well. So the moment the bullet comes out of the barrel, the wind will affect it most compared to downrange. If you have a cross wind from 3-9 the projectile will continue on that path until it meets a counter resistance. However it will never stop and go straight. I competed in 1000 yd benchrest for years and always paid attention to the wind closest to me. I never looked downrange.
There's a thing know as gyroscopic procession that explains this but I think people tend to make too much out of the whole process.
To prove my point I have a 1000yd I.B.S target I shot with a 300 WBY using 240 SMK with a score of 50 and a group of 4.040" with 3 shots touching across the center X
Hope this helps!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post

I would figure it like this.

90% value out to 600yds. 100% value for 600yds to wherever the transition point appears to be. I would then subtract full value in the opposite direction from the transition point to the target.

Basically figure three separate windage adjustments and add/subtract as those values change.