Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

robbor,300yd .22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: robbor,300yd .22

Absolutely. Rim thickness varies more than you would ever think with regard to bulk rimfire ammo. Match ammo is much more consistent.

There is no sense in having a bolt face machined to exact specs and then feeding it ammo with variable rim thickness.

Match chambers, bolts, and barrels, when coupled with quality ammo, can deliver some astonishing results.

I modify my hunting ammo with an SGB tool. This removes about 1-1.5 grains off the nose depending upon ammo brand and design. When applied to match ammo, the SGB tool delivers a cartridge that has significantly increased whack effect. The nose is converted to a wide meplat.

For long range work I generally use match ammo of standard velocity, sorted and SGB modified. Get the wind behind you, bag it in, and whack prairie poodles at ranges that will embarrass you when you tell others.

I'm currently using a highly modified 10/22 with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14 AO mildot and I'm very pleased with the scope. The mildot makes holdovers a snap when walking the rounds in during a crosswind.

I like the idea of a LR rimfire forum. Quite honestly, LR rimfire shooting is what got me into LR centerfires. And then I found this forum.... and have not looked back [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Regards,
Old 07-01-2003, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

For me the real enjoyment of attempting "long" shots with the heavy Ruger 10-22's or Benchmark is the ability to make quick adjustments and fire another round(s) because of the semi-auto action and high powered scopes. If that round is off then you can immediately compensate and try another. Many times the p-dog or gopher just sits there as he is not alarmed by a big noise. Hollow point bullets are much more effective for smacking critters, sometimes their effect on a gopher is quite amazing.

A while back I shot over 1200 rounds through the new T/C Benchmark at large turtles in a couple of ponds down in Texas. Only had the head to shoot at, most shots were 90-100 yards and this made for very tough shooting. The rifle had a 6-24 Swarovski on it, nice glass and it was deadly on those bass eaters.

I shot today at 50 yards to check a zero and could see every bullet in flight through a 6.5-20 EFR. That helps a bunch for holdoffs when you start sending bullets out.

We have set clay birds on the backstop at 300 and shot until they were busted up into very small chunks - bottom line is to have lots of ammo and just keep shooting.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:50 AM
Silver Member

I'm here. I have not had a chance to sight in or test at range yet, but soon. I am more of a hunter that a shooter if that makes any sense? I went out hunting the other day and it was slow and no rabbits to be found then I saw a dog. I finally got is pinpointed and ranged at 300 yards and whet to grab my gun and the coyote jumped into the bushes. Then about 30 min later a nice little 4 point desert buck strolled by me at 100 yards. I got to test the foxpro a little with it. I played doe bleats and then buck grunts but got no movement tward the call just got him to stop and sniff the wind and stare at the calls direction. I did not fire a shot that day. I also played with a bunch of coyotes and pups with my foxpro on the way back in the dark. I got to chenck on night hunting for thatr area. When I see how the gun shoot at ranges of 150 and more I will report. I only use the Remington 22 wmr premiers because of the better bc and accuracy in my gun. Ps the foxpro was 236 yards away from me and the remote worked. I consider every trip a learing experience. I did find what should be the ACTUAL BC of the .224 33gr vmax, It should be .104
Old 07-10-2003, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

Hey Frank4570! How much drop did you have from your point of aim or how much did you adjust your scope. The 3.5" wide sounds damn good for a mag. I'm shure you can improve on the verticle by measuring cases. I will have to look into that. I still have not made it to the range, but what ever day next week my range is open for long range shooting I will be there inless I get my bench made by then, I doubt it. Thanks for the test.